Chapter 6 ◌ Coglione

MARLENA

MARLENA

August 2016, Villa Borghese

The next day I decide to go a little later to the pavilion since yesterday's extra hour wasn't that useful. Special, yes, but I really have to practice now. I couldn't think straight after my new friend left. I don't know if I should call him a friend yet but he literally made up a song for me, so let's say I can. No one had ever done something like that for me, but this occurrence left me with dual feelings and a sleepless night because I wonder if he'll keep his promise to come to see me again. Now I am living up to a total cliche, hooked by someone who coincidently passed by.

A typical rom-com movie event.

But now I'll try to focus. What's the chance I'll see him again anyway? He seemed like the type of guy that seduces girls as a hobby. A game he plays for fun. But I won't be that girl, I promise myself.

I walk through the gates of the park, stroll through the gardens and follow the water to my pavilion. It's still early and normally I don't take the time to look around but I feel like soaking up some sunlight. I enjoy being alone like this, my parents would never let me go out like this every day but since they put me in a ballet boarding school they won't even find out. All the other girls went home, to spend some time with their family and travel to sunny faraway places. And then they come back to brag about it; ma non mi frega un cazzo, c'ho zero da dimostrarvi (but I don't give a fuck, I've got nothing to prove to you). I can take care of myself like this, I'm living my life with my head in the clouds. Literally.

It's my kind of meditation, walking here between the fragrant trees and the tulips with humming bees. The fountains, seeing my reflection in the rippling water. Only the sound of the wind and chirping birds. This felt like peace: the calm and the liberty. 

But as I see the pavilion rise in the distance there's something wrong

But as I see the pavilion rise in the distance there's something wrong. There are people standing on the steps of the pavilion. As I walk closer I see 4 people setting up their instruments: a bass, a guitar and drums. They've made the floor theirs.

Then I realize I recognize the one holding a microphone. Damiano.
So I suppose these other people are in the band he told me about. What do they call themselves again? It was a foreign name, ending on skin, I think. But that doesn't matter right now:

What the hell are they doing on my spot?!

"Hey! Ragazzi!" I yell at them and wave. "Hello! Whoohoo!" They are too busy testing their instruments and connecting cables. Another possibility is that they're ignoring me.

Come on, this can't be serious.
I feel a little betrayed, so this Damiano really was playing a game for his own good and I fell for it. But then he hasn't seen me play yet.

"Eh, stronzi!" I yell again, I don't like yelling and I hate cursing even more but now I've got their full attention. Simple but effective.

They look at me as if I just killed a dog or something. Or that they're the dog and I took their food away. I had expected more from Damiano, he definitely recognizes me and I notice that he has a little smile on his face.

Coglione (bastard).

I quickly run on the steps and go stand right in front of him. And I just stare into his eyes with my arms crossed. But he doesn't even flinch.

Well, my plan was to intimidate him but he's at least a head taller than me and I could fit twice in his broad shoulders. And the only thing I can think about right now is how good he smells.

I decide to open my mouth. "What do you think you're doing?" I siss. Damiano laughs. Why isn't that a surprise? "As long as you're not paying for this spot it isn't yours but Rome's. Actually, this is Aesculapia's temple we're standing in right now," he answers. "Greek God of medicine, cool isn't it!"

He has definitely thought about this but I'm nothing with that information.

"And your point?" I bite back.

"We were here first today so now it's our spot."

Forget what I said about playing games because Damiano is playing like a toddler. I was here first, like a month ago, before yesterday he probably didn't even know this spot existed. And that's on me. If he wants to act like a child it's fine because I don't want to share my toys either.

"You look cute when you're mad," he adds. But that's only fuel for my anger because he likes to test me. If my eyes could spit fire then he'd probably be completely burnt by now. Third-degree.

And then the girl jumps in between us: "Guys, per favore, what's the matter?" she asks while looking at me and then at Damiano. "Why can't we just share? No need to fight over a temple, right?"

She puts a wide smile on her face and looks my way again. "So you're a dancer, isn't it?" and she points at my sports bag.
"Hmm," I nod.

"We'll fix this, okay? I didn't know you would be here too today. Damiano just told us yesterday he found a nice place for us to play and we were all so excited. Normally we just play in the shopping street nearby but this is way cooler," and then she looks to the pillars of the temple, "and this temple adds something special to our vibe. Let's just vibe together then! I'm Victoria by the way."

She's super chatty and way too happy but it's working. Her enthusiasm is contaminating. She has the presence of the sun, she lightens up her surroundings and warms people up with her smile. I think I'll like her, so at least Damiano was right about something. I can be her moon to reflect her light when it's getting dark.

So I put on my biggest smile, a try to give her a reflection of her own. "Okay sure, if you insist," I answer.

"Yay, benvenuta amica! And Damiano here is being a big bambino. Boohoo. Just ignore him."

I giggle at the way she tries to imitate him, but he doesn't bother and wasn't even paying attention anymore.
I don't know yet if I want to ignore him. We'll see how this goes.

I pat on his shoulder and raise my voice: "but I'm still mad at you for this because I don't understand why you would do this. You could have asked me and- "

"Stai tranquilla, ragazza," and he stretches his arm to put his finger on my mouth, but I step back. I'll just shut up by myself, I won't be silenced by a guy like that.

"I get it," he adds, "And I will make this up to you. I promise."
I don't know if I trust his promises anymore. He didn't lie about that he'll come by and bring his friends but this wasn't how I had expected it. This was just-, mean and childish. I don't get this guy because yesterday he acted way different.

"What about I take you out sometime, maybe next week?" he asks with a softer voice although it doesn't sound like a question. I want to say something back but let's not start this fight over again. Does he really think I'm that stupid?

The audacity.

Why would he think I'd like to go out with him after he certainly had another goal here yesterday.

"Damiano David, leave this girl alone and listen to yourself next time because that was fucking pathetic," Vics says and pulls me away from him. I smirk, she's absolutely right.