30. Bella's Back Is A Target

Start from the beginning

"What about the rest of your family? You wouldn't want to come over with her?"

"Why would we want to go over and hang out with a bunch of mutts?" Rosalie rolled her eyes, instantly getting nudged by Emmett.

"Rosalie!" Lizzie snapped and glared at her sister. "They're trying to be nice, can't you do the same?"

"It's fine, not like we wanted to be surrounded by a bunch of leeches anyway," Paul shrugged.

"Hey, man!" Jacob growled at his packmate. "You know how she feels about that word."

"Sorry, Lizzie."

"It's okay, I know it's a reflex."

Sam stood up, trying to avoid a fight. "I think maybe we're done here," he said as he and Carlisle shook on the new treaty. Lizzie glanced over her family's faces; Jasper, Carlisle, and Esme were happy for her, even Alice and Emmett. Rosalie and Edward not so much, but they'd get used to it in time. It was Dean's face that made Lizzie frown, he looked sad almost like he wanted something but now couldn't have it. She glanced at Edward for the reason.

"He doesn't agree with Rosalie."

Suddenly, understanding melted on Lizzie's face. She stood up from Jacob's lap and took Dean's hand hauling him to his feet with a smile. "Hey, Sam. Is it okay if Dean comes over from time to time with me and Sammy?"

Sam turned away from Carlisle. "Lizzie, I'm pretty sure your little brother already lives with me." he chuckled, earning a curious look from Dean.  No one could understand why, but Sammy spent most of his free time with either Emily or Seth and Leah. Jessica Moore having broken his heart only a month or two ago. "It shouldn't be a problem to have your older brother there too."

"Actually, she's older than me," Dean corrected.

"Yeah, ten years apart. But he's technically one year older than me now if we're going by human years."

"Right." Sam seemed confused but didn't comment. He gave Lizzie a quick hug as the pack all stood up. "Jacob, are you staying?"

Jacob looked at Lizzie and Lizzie looked at her parents for permission. Carlisle and Esme both nodded with smiles.

"Yeah, Sam. I'll be back later tonight for patrols."

"So will we," Leah added for her and Seth.

Sam just nodded. "Okay, we need everyone on high alert with the redhead. Just be careful."

"Got it, Sam."

Lizzie dodged her family after the pack left and instead, took Jacob's hand in hers before leading him upstairs and into her room. He sat down on the bed she never used and pulled her over to him. Lizzie stood between Jacob's legs with her fingers threaded through his short black hair.

"Well, that went well," he joked.

"Better than expected," she agreed, giving him a soft kiss he eagerly returned.

Starting from this moment on, Lizzie Cullen and Jacob Black were no longer a secret well kept. They were out in the open now and it was just a waiting game to see how it turned out.

                                                               ✦✦✦

"So you told them, huh?"

Lizzie was rounding the corner to Bella's room so they could finish getting ready for school. She had stopped by extra early, all so she could avoid being with her family any longer than necessary. After last night, things were not only tense but awkward in the Cullen house. Jacob, Leah, and Seth stayed for dinner. When they left, Lizzie and Damon were bombarded with questions. Damon got out of it by speeding away but Lizzie wasn't so lucky, she tried to but Edward caught her arm as Emmett and Rosalie pinned her down.