“Leaving.” I whispered and ripped my hand away from his with a smile on my face. I laughed getting out of the car, my eyes locking on a cold blue stare. His black hair hung in his eyes that were glaring into mine. My breath caught in my throat as I did a once over of him. He was wearing all black and had a scowl on his face as he leaned against a tree surrounded by equally scary guys and girls.

“Emily!” I heard a squeal across the parking lot and I blushed, my heart aching as I looked away from Pax and to see Chelsea. Her blonde hair flew around her as she ran up to me attacking me into a hug.

“Hey Chels.” I laughed hugging her back.

“You’ve been gone all summer and all you can say is hey?!” She scoffed rolling her eyes.

“I saw you yesterday.” I smiled.

She shook her head and then froze. “That was real? Ugh, I must have been totally wasted. Bad Chelsea, no more drinks for you.” She scolded herself.

I nodded laughing, “Come on class time.” I linked arms with her and turned to look at Robbie, who was glaring at someone near the school. “Coming?” I asked confused and he turned to me and then smirked taking my hand as we walked into th

e school.

Once again my eye’s met his but this time he was furious.

**~~**~~**

“Okay everybody, pair up.” My bio teacher sighed from the front as he just finished going over the syllabus. I looked around and saw Pax staring intently at me as I stood up.

I gulped and started walking over to him, his blank eyes holding mine. I felt a tug on my hand and turned to see Robbie, his eyebrows raised. “Where you going partner? Our tables this way.” He nodded behind him.

I laughed lightly, “I knew that.” I sighed throw a look over my shoulder to see Pax talking to a guy from his inner circle and letting Robbie lead me to our table.  I sat down and looked over the sheet on our table giving us the instructions for the cleanup so I didn’t notice until I looked up surprised to see a black hair blue eyed boy staring at me again.

“Alright everyone.” the teacher called attention to himself and I broke the stare with Pax. What is it about him recently that makes my heart race and a blush creep up my face  just from a look? All I knew was that I missed him. “Ger to work.”

It took all I had not to look over at Pax and just keep focused on my work but I couldn’t help myself and stole a few glances. He caught me each time glaring as he did.

I put away all the things we used in the lab quietly while Robbie talked about what he did over the summer. Nothing I haven’t heard before, really all he talks about is himself. Did he once asked what I did? Did he care? No.

“...I swear it was so funny. You should have been there Em.” I heard him say. I nodded rolling my eyes, not like I was in the country anyway. “How was Italy?” he asked and I nodded again not really paying attention. “Em?”

“Huh?” I asked looking over at him. I heard a snort from next to us and I turned to see Pax having a smirk on his lips. “I’m sorry, I just...sorry.” I blushed again.

“I just asked you how Italy was.” Wow. I blinked shocked, he cared, “did you get me anything?” Oops spoke too soon.

The box that held the gifts I’ve held over the years flashed in my mind as I shook my head, “Sorry Robbie. I must have forgot.”

“That’s alright babe. No worries, we’ll go to Italy someday together and I’ll pick something out myself.”

I laughed, “Yeah. Maybe.” I saw Robbie glance at Pax, smirking. I sighed and picked up my stuff, they were never going to change were they? I can’t stand their fighting.

“Babe-.” Robbie started grabbing my arm as I tried to escape.

“Stop calling me that.” I hissed my eyes flickering to Pax’s, he looked shocked and I shook my head, “Leave me alone will you?”

“Emily?” Robbie called after me but I just threw open the door not bothering to listen to him or my teacher as they called me back.

Great. I caused unwanted drama on the first day. This was just what I needed. Not.

“Someone’s got a temper.” I heard a chuckle from behind me. Pax’s smooth voice filled my head, it was deeper than I remembered and I kinda...like it. No bad, bad, Emily.

I turned around and glared at him. This was the boy who promised me forever and gave me less than five years before he got bored. “No one asked you.”

He shrugged walking closer to me, “Just stating a fact, don’t need to go all snippy.”

I rolled my eyes, “Whatever.” I crossed the hall and opened my locker all the while I felt his stare on me, burning into my back. I suddenly felt self conscious. I wish I could just wear jeans but Robbie said I’d look better like this. I fixed my skirt and sighed realizing it wasn’t going to get longer.

“Maybe you should get a pole to go with that outfit.” I heard the judgment in his voice.

I gasped turning to face him, “Excuse me?” I asked my eyes flashing in anger.

He smirked looking me up and down, “Yup, I’m correct. You look like a stripper.”

“No one asked you.” I growled slamming my locker shut. Did I really look that bad? Since when does Emily Cross, head cheerleader care what anyone thinks?

The same time you began to question everything about your life. The same time your father decided to make a reappearance in your life. The very same time you realised you didn’t have Pax by your side to help you through it.