47

"One day it's fine and next it's black
So if you want me off your back"

"One day it's fine and next it's blackSo if you want me off your back"

MY NAME IS ELOISE.

I'm 17 years old. I'm from the United States. I'm a Slytherin. I've been here for... well I'm not sure how long.

The last thing I remember is waking up in this room with a horrible headache. Everything before that is kind of a blur. But it's been so great.

The room they've put me in is lovely. This one's door is actually on it's hinges. I have a great view of the garden. The bed is soft and has so many pillows. There's a closet full of clothes, I think they belonged to someone else.

I have a routine that I follow every day. Every morning there's tea left outside my door with breakfast. The same sweet drink each time. It's honestly delicious. I usually get a second one later in the day. It always puts me in the best mood. I can't remember the last time I even felt upset or angry.

For most of the day I sit in my room. I don't mind it, really. I read, look out the window, daydream. I used to sing, but I was told I was being a nuisance so I don't anymore. I brush my hair in the mirror and can't help but notice that ugly scar above my eyebrow. I wonder where I got it from... 

Every once in a while I'm allowed to leave and go into the garden. I'm never alone, but it's always with someone whos company I greatly enjoy.

I love the garden, the flowers are beautiful and even the peacocks that wander it seem to smile at me. I try to pet them but they always run away. It's strange. I often find myself wishing for a pet of my own.

Anyway, my absolute favorite thing to do is admire my ring.

It's huge. A big shiny diamond on my right hand. I adore the way it flashes when the light catches it. It's a bit heavy but it's worth it. I want to show it off, but I keep seeing the same people everyday.

Not that I'm complaining, of course. After all, these people I see everyday are about to become my family.

They seem anxious recently. They never let me listen to important conversations. But I hear urgent whispers in the halls. I see their apprehensive looks that they exchange. I wonder what's wrong. I wish I could help. I wish I could ease their pain.

I eat dinner with them every night, a cup of my tea always nearby. Sometimes we have guests. Some of them scare me.

But I've learned to be seen and not heard, not speak unless spoken to. It's simple enough. Besides, the food is good and I get to sit next to my fiance.

He seems so off lately. His eyes always flicker away from me and towards the door or to his parents when they're in the room. But that's fine. He's just jumpy. I love him anyway.

He can do no wrong in my eyes. He's perfect to me. Handsome, smart, obedient. He does everything his parents say, especially his father. Such a dutiful son. I love him for it.