Honeymoon: Happy Birthday?

Start from the beginning

  I want those last few moments of sleep though so I try laying on my side again. The room starts to spin again while my eyes actually feel like they've become spinning tops. I grab my head with one hand willing the pain and dizziness to stop while the other reaches for Chris.

  "Chris!" I cry out. He startles awake by the sound of my voice.

"What's wrong? What is it?"

  "I'm not sure," I say going back onto my back. "When I lay on my side the room starts spinning."

  He sits up and guides me slowly to a sitting position. "Ok. Try and turn just your head. Start with the right. Anything?" I do as he says, no spinning. "Now to your left."  I turn my head to the left and immediately it starts all over again. "Looks like you've got vertigo."

"What exactly does that mean?" I ask him.

"It means you've dislodged some crystals in your ear. We need to see if we can get them back in place," he says getting out of the bed.

He guides me to lay back down on my back with my head hanging off the edge slightly. "This is going to be very uncomfortable and may make you feel sick to your stomach as well but I'm right here. You can squeeze my hands at tight as you need."

Chris directs how far I should turn my head. We start with the right side. All is good. Then we go to the left. I squeeze my eyes tight as everything feels strange again. "That's it. Stay just like that until it stops." I'm clenching his hand so hard that I know my nails are leaving marks in his flesh.

After about thirty seconds it stops but my stomach is churning. Using the support of his hands I pull myself back to an upright position. Quickly I move off of the bed and rush to the bathroom just in time to hug the toilet before the contents from the night before make an appearance. Chris is right behind me pulling my hair back away from my face. He carefully reaches over and grabs a washcloth and wets it, laying it across the back of my neck.

  I stay hunched over a few more minutes waiting to see if anything else is going to show itself. My stomach feels more calm too. I sit back against the tub. Chris hands me a bottle of water.

  "Well that was fun," I say sarcastically.

  "You're gonna need to stay upright as much as you can for the next few hours. And unfortunately we won't be going on the helicopter ride," Chris informs me.

  "Happy frigging birthday to me," I whine as I rub my forehead and pull the washcloth from my neck. "But you should still go, Chris."

  He shakes his head no. "I'm not comfortable leaving you while you're like this. I'll text Wayne and see if he and Val want to take it."

  I reach my hand out and rest it on his knee that sits next to me. "No. Please go. I'll hate myself if you don't. There is a doctor available if needed."

  Chris looks at me. He's ready to say no again. "Please, Chris. You won it. Go. If it will make you feel any better why don't you text Wayne to go with you and then see if Val wants to come sit with me?"

  "You don't think it's too early to bother them?" he asks me.

  "Val said Wayne is up at 4:30 every morning without fail. Just try," I urge him.

  At 5:30 am Chris comes walking back into our room with Wayne, Val and a bottle of Dramamine. "This should help keep your stomach calm should you have any more episodes."

  Chris sits down on the bed next to me, handing me the bottle with a ginger ale. I take two and lean back against the headboard. Val takes a seat at the table while Wayne remains standing. "The flight starts at 6:15 and lasts an hour. We can do breakfast when I get back unless you need to eat sooner," he says while rubbing my leg over the covers.