Chapter 44: Yours, Forever

Start from the beginning

" Oh! Aman, that's not true..." But, it was and she was lying," I'm just busy with the competitions, and then you're busy too. It's your senior year." 

" That hasn't stopped us before, has it?" He asked and it hadn't. She didn't reply because she knew she wasn't a commendable liar. 

" But, if that's what you want. I won't force our friendship on you. I understand that you feel threatened..." He added.

" What, no... I don't. What are you saying?" It was too much for her to handle in such a small span of time. 

" I have been busy, that's it." She pressed and he looked doubtful. 

" Fine! Okay, then call me when you're free. " And he left leaving Rose's heart racing. Suddenly they felt miles apart. 

She had never felt this feeling, her heart never did beat so fast when she was in Aman's presence. It was always reckless and candid. Impetuous and cool. This was indeed too much and she wasn't ready. They had resisted before but this was something else. It didn't feel like a fight but it was so much more than just that. The worst part was she didn't know how to name it -  the feeling that was creating this profound void in her heart, she was scared for it had no name. 

As weeks passed and the distance between the two grew at an unnerving pace their friends figured out something amiss. 

It was another boys' evening and Ayan, Aman, and Kyle were playing video games when Kyle spoke, " What is wrong with you guys?" 

" Huh-uh?" Aman looked obscured but he knew what his other best friend was insinuating. 

" You and Rose?" Ayan added with a matter-of-fact shrug. 

" Auh- Nothing..." He looked away. For some time no one spoke and the silence was killing Aman because it was his conscience that was pricking and no one else's. It was gnawing and his mind wasn't able to think anything else. 

" God!! I don't know, I really don't know. It's the worst, the worst. Why won't she talk to me? Man, I miss her..." It was a confession but also frustration that came out as utter distress.    

Then he looked at the other two boys who were staring at him. 

" Now you have nothing to say." He jittered. 

" Perhaps, she wants you to spend your time with someone who is not her. Like, Shira, you like her, right?" Ayan queried. 

" That's absurd. Why would she want that? We are friends, we are meant to spend time together." Aman reasoned.  

" Really? You don't spend half of your days with us. Honestly, what you two have is different and I believe that is what you're missing. " Kyle expressed making Aman deliberate his feelings. 

Confusion is the only way towards clarity but right now Aman was as obscure as an Obscurus and there was no light to be seen at the end of the very dark road. 

" You know, Shira is amazing. She's funny, smart and beautiful but when I'm with her all I think about is Rosie. I keep asking myself where she might be, with whom, or is she sulking away her time with the books but then when I see her, she runs away. And I don't have enough courage to stop her. I don't understand why would she do that and why am I behaving like a coward. We are best friends for god's sake. Are we not?" He asked looking at two equally perplexed boys. His thoughts were forming words and he was finally speaking his mind out. 

" I guess only one person can answer that question - i.e. Rose," Ayan suggested and there was nothing more to add. It was the end of the conversation. 

If love came in like a lightning bolt it would smelt the one it was hitting but if it didn't come as vigorously as an avalanche post a snow storm then it must have definitely slipped in like a furtive little spring leaves after the driest autumn and that would make all the difference.