Chapter Forty

Beginne am Anfang

He shook his head with a chuckle. "Quite the opposite, Sophie. I've actually taken a very, special liking to you," he said. The intensity of his gaze softened and sparkled with a surprising kind of warmth. It took me aback for a second before I realized it was a trap. He was a finely tuned player, and he knew exactly what he was doing.

"Well, she doesn't like you, so fuck off," Nathan interrupted rudely.

Noah turned to face him and snickered. "Oh, how cute, my little baby brother is getting all protective over his little crushy-wushy," Noah cooed with a patronizing little pout.

"I'm not jealous. I just don't like you perving all over, Sophie," Nathan snapped. 

"Oh, really?" Noah snickered as his eyes lit with mischief. "Well, in that case, I'm sure you won't mind if I take Sophie out on a date tomorrow. You like amusement parks, right?" he asked as he turned my way.

 Noah's eyes once again softened in that well-rehearsed and manipulative kind of manner. I almost felt sorry for him. He had no idea that the fly he was trying to weave into his web was actually a spider herself. Heck, I had practically invented the softened-eyed I-can-do-no-harm expression. I mean, god, only knows how many times I've used it to get myself a free drink.

"No," I said bluntly, with a rude snort.

 Noah visibly recoiled, and blinked, then blinked once more as though his brain couldn't compute the idea of rejection. "No, as in you don't like amusement parks?" he questioned slowly.

I crossed my arms and snickered. "No, as in I don't want to go with you."

 From my peripheral vision, I saw Nathan's shoulders start to shake as he tried not to piss himself with silent laughter. 

Noah continued to stare at me, his eyes slowly wandering my face as though I was speaking another language. "And why not?" he asked slowly.

"Because Nathan already asked me," I shrugged.

Nathan stopped cackling and whipped his head my way. "I did?" he questioned in confusion. I sent him a silent death look indicating that he should work with me and not be an idiot.

Nathan, finally clocking on to my plan, vigorously nodded his head. "Oh right, yes, I remember now, I did," he said, a smirk pulling to his face.

 Nathan rested his elbows on the table and leaned forward. "What was it you were saying yesterday, Noah? Some bull-shit about me not being about to get Sophie, I do believe?" Nathan said smoothly with a cocky expression on his face.

Noah stared between the two of us in silence, still likely suffering from the shock of his rejection.

His jaw tightened, and he stood up abruptly from his seat. "Enjoy your little pity date, Nathan," he spat before he turned on his feet and left.

 Once he was gone, I turned to Nathan in excitement. I expected him to be looking smug, but he wasn't. If his fallen smile or deadened eyes were anything to go by, I suspected his brother's words had wormed their way past his defences yet again.

--------------------

It was around half eight, after dinner when I heard a double knock on the guest room door. Chucking my phone down onto the bed with a groan, I threw my covers off and swung myself out of bed. I had been tucked up in a little comfortable ball underneath my covers, so to say I was pissed at the intrusion would be putting it lightly.

Pulling open the door, I was met with the sight of Nathan stood in the entryway to my door. I focused in on his eyes which sparkled suspiciously with a mixture of excitement and mischief. Remembering I had promised that I would allow him into my room in exchange for my bikini top, I rolled my eyes and reluctantly widened the door for him so that he could enter.