Mysterious Stranger

***

The night came as usual but nothing was usual about it at all. Once I heard voices of unfamiliar people downstairs I knew something was wrong. I was still figuring it out when my door opened.

"Tobs. Neighbors. Dinner. Downstairs. Now."

The way Jacob said it one after the other. It made me think he should have been my younger brother instead.

"Be down in a sec.", I said trying to sound unbothered. After he left, I shrugged and continued my movie. I was going to leave my seat only when I finished my movie.

"Order by mum.", Jacob said, with his head popping out the door once again.

Fine. I paused my movie and moved down stairs right behind Jacob. Jacob had no chills when it came to pretty much...anything. Me on the other hand, I dreaded visitors like I dreaded Chris. I had usually heard about neighbors having dinner the next day or after... I thought the situation was quite strange to me only. When we reached the dining table there were 3 unfamiliar faces. I hoped it would remain like that. Unfamiliar.

"This is my son, Toby", my mum started by introducing.

"And his cousin Jacob."

Jacob flashed a big smile that revealed how often he brushed, so to say. Me, I didn't want to spend much time with them.

"Hello guys...", said the two adults who looked like couples, thankfully not in a chorus. Jacob was the only one that answered. My mum then turned around to look at me. She gave me "the glare".

"Good evening sir and ma.", I said, most uncomfortably. It could have been better if I wasn't forced to do it.

It was then I saw my mum smile, then she proceeded with her introduction.

"Toby. Meet Ava."

"Hi.", I said without looking up and stood up to go to my room without touching the food.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm tired mum. I want to get some sleep.", I said with a squeezed face. I knew I wasn't good at pretense though

"I'm so sorry. He's had a stressful day.", my mum apologized to the new neighbors.

In my mind, as I walked up the stairs. I thought it was funny how one tries their best to please people and still got no reward or recognition. Being good and yet fed with bad. I couldn't foretell the future, but I did know not to trust so much.

In my room I could hear Jacob laughing so loudly. He wouldn't stop talking too. I couldn't sleep. I didn't want to continue my movie or write a song. I just wanted to sleep.

Finally I got up from my bed and goty shirt on. Once I was downstairs, I walked past the dining room tippy toed to avoid everyone and escaped into the kitchen. I came out through the backdoor...there and then I saw Ava standing right outside our porch, gazing silently into the wind. The black sari made me recognize her. I stopped and stood inches away from her, with my hands in my pocket like she was the  reason I came outside. Maybe she was... I still never got a good look at her face. And now it was covered from the sides by her dark wavy hair blowing slowly in the wind but only by the strands. I immediately thought it would have looked more like the scene in titanic if the wind blew more than the strands. I couldn't help but keep my gaze on this girl for a while. Trying to depict from what I saw, what kind of person she might be. Why was she out here alone?

I wanted to turn around and leave. Should I talk to her? I knew I should. In fact I want to...desperately now. But won't she see me like every other girl does. Cute but a bore. I felt maybe I should just retire into my room for the night. I mean... I didn't even know how to start a conversation with anyone. Not to talk of a girl who seemed like a character from breakfast club. The dark hearted one. Probably the moving had a big effect on her. Maybe she missed her friends and her life. I dropped all of my thoughts and was finally walking away, back into the house. Then I met Jake at the door. Ohh crap. He was laughing so hard but silently. The look I gave him made him stop.

"Ok have you ever heard the saying? Grab your copy, Nowww.", he said sipping from his soda can.

"Yeah, and I think they were referring to movies.", I smirked and moved in but he blocked me.

"Hmm...hold on a sec. Look at her. She's like a prize waiting to be claimed... ", Jacob said with his arms around my neck. Making me stare at Ava. Making me wonder what thoughts could make her not even notice the two idiots standing behind her...