Chapter 8

"Not like an ambush ambush" she added, making gestures with her hands. "Tell me more" I replied both sarcastically and with interest. "Well, what I mean is we watch an wait" she tried to wink. I understood her beating about the bush at this point. "So who's doing the watching and waiting?"
"Now that'll the great obstacle...... Umm....what about we pay someone to?" she shrugged, exposing her teeth like she was forced to smile for a toothpaste advertisement. "So this person whom I would pay since you wouldn't have any money, would wait for how long now? I mean we don't even know what time of the day he comes around"
"I have an idea!" she exclaimed with a glow as a face mask. "Yes?" I replied, slightly holding out my hands like I could grab the idea as soon as it was released.
"Umm.." she said softly and the glow faded leaving me puzzled. "I just want to say we should read the second note first" she continued, covering her face with her hands. I heaved a sigh of self control then rolled my eyes.
"Can I?" she asked in a cute-girl tone. "How did you even get into this, huh?" I yelled.
"I'm sorry....I just....... I'm really sorry. We could....um...we could ask the person to watch at night since....um...for the dinner...the other day. The note was obviously sent after the dinner" she stammered. "Read the other note" I replied wryly.
"Fine. Dear Carnation...."she started then I interrupted, " When I ask you to read the note, can't you simply go straight to the point? I mean I get that he calls me Carnation already "
"I'm sorry sis" she moved towards me and wrapped her hands around my arm with her head on my shoulder. I raised my gaze to the ceiling in attempt to dodge her emotional trap. "Keep reading already"
"Okay....." she let go. ".....I hope you're good, I always do. And your sweet sister, the one who sent the second reply; I hope she's good too. By the way I saw you at school earlier."
I turned and noticed Shellie's face flushing red. "Why? Cause he called you sweet? You shouldn't trust any guy yunno"
"He seems really sweet tho. He even came to see you at school"
"What was the point? He saw me. I didn't even know he was there not to talk about seeing him"
"Exactly the point. He was the one seeing you cause he cared to know how you're doing. You probably didn't even remember he existed"
"Whatever. This has to stop" I took the note from her hand then pulled my bag and jostled my hand through it. In a short while I had a pen and a piece of paper in my hand-- the paper was his note tho, but the back was empty duhh.
'So not dear flower boy,
Aren't you tired of living in secret? Wouldn't you want to go on a real life date with Carnation and stop feeding on mere dreams? Besides you should be sending texts and not living in the 90s.
Shawn Carter( I refuse to go by Carnation till we meet)'
I sighed and tipped my head slightly as I finished writing then folded it neatly and handed it over to Shellie --the mail girl.
"So we're no longer watching and waiting?"
"This would work even better for sure. He'll think I want to go out with him and I'm sure he's been dying to"
"If you say so"
"Hurry on to bed now. It's late"
She nodded then kissed me gently on my cheek. "Goodnight sweetie"
Just then, I heard the creaking sound of the door. My glance traveled in its direction and Shae's body was partially in my room. "Hey honey" she strolled in, closing the door behind her. "I'm sorry for my severe absence in your life for a while now" she rubbed my cheek with her thumbs as she reached where I sat. "So..you've been busy I guess" I replied.
"It's Mark. He's not letting our sister breathe" Shellie blurted. "Hey" Shae replied, poking Shellie's forehead with her index and obviously trying to hold back blush. I recalled my argument with her concerning Mark and Zachary. For sure, bubbles of regret burst inside me. "I'm sorry sis"
"What for honey?" she asked with her eyebrows creased and her face stained with confusion. "For....anything.......and everything that I ever did or said..especially concerning Mark's and your relationship. It's certainly a beautiful one"
"It's fine dear. You were only under the wings of a toxic relationship that I'm glad you're out of" she replied softly, pulling my head into a comfy embrace. I replied by wrapping my hands tightly around her waist. "Awwwwn" Shellie commented.
"So how's our flower boy doing?" Shae asked after a while. "You're asking like he's my boyfriend or something"
"So you don't like him"
"Iono. I've never even seen him before"
"You actually might have. You just don't know."
* * * * *
Nothing much happened at school the next day. But something quite interesting did happen; I spoke to Georgia. 'Finally, the chance to rub her sick face in mud and fill her empty head with bubble gum' I thought.
"Hey there" I greeted as I took a sit opposite her at one if the desks at the library. "Someone's realized she's here for the education" I whispered. "It's a novel. I'm just here to chill"
"Meaning you've still not realized why you're in school"
"I knew you were here to insult me so just leave"
"Sorry? Did your dad pay a dime more than mine for your fees? This is the school library babe"
"I'm not in the mood Shawn"
"Mood for what exactly babe? Thinking about the heartbreak you earned from dating your best friend's ex?"
"Seriously Shawn. Leave me alone"
"What's the worst you can do? You don't even have any guts left"
She slammed the book in front if her close then stood to leave with the book in her arms. I stood to follow. I was so prepared for her. "Tell me babe, do you think you're any better than Lilian Good?"
"Enough please!" she yelled. It seemed to have tickled her angry spot.
"What's going on there?". I turned and saw the librarian approaching quickly.
" Shawn Carter won't let me be" Georgia blurted. "Be what? A fool?"
"Shawn you're stepping real hard on my toe"
"Does it feel as painful as being dumped, unimportant or well simply watching your honey pie call someone else his girlfriend?" I got a book slap immediately.
"Sir please walk us out of the library except you're ready to host the press" I said softly, with polite sarcasm, to the librarian.
"Please leave and don't create a scene here" the woman quivered. 'Shall we?" I turned back to Georgia. She rolled her eyes with a sigh then walked away. I couldn't catch up with her afterwards but I was satisfied with the piece of me I had given her.
* * * * *
I got back home still exhausted as usual and strolled through my bedroom door to the window to take the note myself since I was more expectant of it. I hissed as I met an empty window. "Shellie!"
I turned towards the door as it opened, ready to continue my yell but instead held back my breath, seeing my mum's head stick through the half opened door.
"How're you doing?" she walked towards me. "I'm good. You?" "The last time you joined us for dinner was when your aunt was here. You get back home and head straight to your room. I don't like it"
"I'm sorry. It's just......"
"There's no need to explain. Dinner's by 7 everyday and everyone has to be present. It's a family thing"
"Yes mum"
She turned to leave the room then stopped like she'd remembered something. "By the way........."she started, turning fully to face me, "......how're things with the Book guy?"
It took my brain a while to process her question then I realized she was asking about Zachary. "We broke up already. Sorry for not letting you know"
"Why? What happened?"
"He cheated on me" I sighed.
"That's bad. Why would he do such a thing? Is he crazy?" Her forehead had creased up and her tone colder. "It's fine mum. Shae and Shellie were here for me" I replied, moving closer then placing my hands on her shoulders to quell the temper. "You should tell me these things too yunno" "C'mon mum, I have an elder sister. You should be resting"
"Oh really.."she raised her brows, her eyes clearly wowed, ".. Well why don't you and your elder sister manage the mall while I spend time with my baby girl"
"Mum I have to go to school and Shae has to go to ...school too" I said putting effort into speaking and gesturing like a little mummy's girl then chuckled at the last part. "So Shae's going to school too?" she half smiled.
"Well....the only difference between both of us is that she goes to school to teach and I to learn and hang out with friends"
"You're crazy" she giggled. "Why were you calling Shellie by the way?"
"Umm.....it's.....kinda....a sister's stuff. It's nothing you have to worry about really."
"Well you sounded mad that's why I asked"
"Oh.....I did. Sorry about that; I'm good now"
"That's good. I also wonder what's keeping her. Shellie!"
"Yes mum" I heard scream, faintly.
My mum remained in the room till Shellie arrived. "Your sister called you. Where were you?" "I'm sorry. I heard her but then I thought it was just my mind so I waited hoping she'd call again but she didn't so I assumed it was just me missing her"
"You live under one roof and you're missing her..." mum giggled rubbing Shellie's cheek with her thumb. "Anyway, why don't we go out for the weekend?"
"Great idea mum. Why don't we talk about it at dinner tomorrow?" I replied, feeling a little restless. "Fine you both have your sister's whatever but don't stay up late since there's school tomorrow. I guess my three girls go to school anyway" we chortled as she left the room.
"Where's the note?" I asked softly immediately the door slammed shut. "Shouldn't it be by the window?" she replied bending sideways slightly to look across.
"If it was there I wouldn't have asked"
"Let's check outside. It probably fell" she said then we hurried to the door. "Or we should check the room first, just in case it was the wind that blew it in" she added suddenly, making me groan. We checked around the room and still ended up outside, by my room window. We hustled through small bushed around, in case the wind had carried moved it.
"C'mon where did the paper go, besides there's supposed to be a flower holding it too but there's no sign of any of them" I said.
"Could someone have stolen it?"
"Why would someone steal a letter, maybe the flower but not the note"
"So....could it be that he didn't drop the note today? Could the note have gotten him mad?"..............