Chp 2:

Nicolai:

I sit in my office chair, tapping my pen repeatedly on the desk and holding my hand in a fist in front of my face.

The sound of something interrupts my zoning out as I look at my phone and read a text, I sit up slowly and read it over again to make sure that I read the message properly.

I push back my seat and get up, stuffing my phone into my pocket and leaving my office-I walk down the long narrow hallway as I look for my main PA Scarlett.

I find her in her office. "Is this accurate?" I ask as I pull my phone out of my pocket, turn it on and show her the message.

She creases her brow and reads the message. "Yes sir.", I adjust my jaw and nod slightly then sigh. "Fix it." I say coldly. She stands up and nods, grabbing folders off of her desk and hurrying passed me.

"Yes...yes sir." I sigh and run a hand over my face. As I exit her office and walk back to mine-I'm stopped in my tracks when I notice my office door cracked open slightly.

I open it up slowly and see a woman seated on a chair across from my desk. As I step inside she turns around and faces me.

"Mom." I say bitterly as she gives me a slight nod. "What are you doing here?" I ask, I was well aware that my frustration was evident in my voice.

She sighs and stands in front of me. "I came back early. I wanted to speak with you.", "There's nothing to speak about." I walk passed her and begin to shuffle through paperwork.

"For heavens sake Nicolai. You can't ignore me forever." She gives me a disapproving look and a stern tone of voice. I level my stare and look dead at her. "Oh yeah? Watch me." I say challengingly.

She rolls her eyes and then glares at me. "What happened to my son?", I cross my arms in front of my chest. "Your son met a woman. He fell in lover with her. He grew up." My tone is low and ice cold. Her eyes widen and she adjusts her all white blazer.

"Well I can't say that I'm not disappointed in you." I scuff and shake my head. "You know...I can't say that I'm not surprised. When aren't you disappointed in me or in Eli? Huh?"

She looks at me, she looks lost for words. "Mr. Pierc-" I'm interrupted by one of my employees. "Oh-I'm sorry. I can come back in a few minutes." I stop them and usher them in.

"No, we were just finished up. What can I help you with?" I ask turning to them. "Oh...sir, Tessa is here to see you." I feel my mothers eyes fixate on me.

"Great. Please send her in.", "Yes sir." I turn to face my mom again. "You know what I can't quite wrap my mind around...what happened to you? You were so happy that I had finally found someone like Tessa and now...for some unfathomable reason, you despise my relationship with her." I look at her with my brow creased.

Out of the corner of my left eye I see Tessa, I turn to give her a smile and she shyly smiles back. "Hey." I say ushering her over to my side, she slowly approaches me.

"Hello Natalia." Tessa's voice is also cold. My mom says nothing, sticking her nose up to the sky and looking at both of us with disapproval.

"You can leave now." I say to my mom. "Maybe you're not so different from your father." She says through gritted teeth. I smirk. "I can see why the two of you married in the first place, you're practically the same person." My mother's mouth falls open and Tessa looks down at her own feet.

My mom says nothing and storms out of my office, her heels clicking as she does. "I'm sorry about that." I say kissing the top of her head. "It's fine."

I remove my arm from Tessa's waist and look at her. "What's wrong?", "I just can't understand how she can hate me so much, I barely spend time around her." Tess says. I shrug and shake my head. "Don't pay her anymore mind."

I sigh and take a seat. "I stopped by because I needed to drop this off for you. Its information about Stella, she'll be coming to shadow with you tomorrow." I nod. "Oh...that's right. Thank you for reminding me." I say taking the folder with the information.

"You seem tense." She says. I can't help but smirk. "What gave that away?" I ask, She rolls her eyes and gives me a smile. "Like you said to me, don't pay it any mind." I smile at her and nod.

"You're so wise." She laughs slightly as I tuck back a strand of her brown shoulder length hair.

"Well I should be going. I have to help Kirstin pick out new furniture for her apartment." She rolls her eyes. I raise a brow, "And Kirstin can't do that herself?" I ask. Tessa shrugs.

"Alright. I'll see you at home." I say looking at her, she gives me a half smile and nods then kisses me softly and leaves. I sigh.

~*~

I get home and walk inside, Tessa is seated at the breakfast counter eating a salad and drinking a glass of water. I can't help but smirk. "Well somebody is being rather healthy." She nods. "I mean what other choice do I have?" Asks Tess as she sits there.

"Is this attitude going to be a regular thing or?" I ask slightly amused as I take a seat next to her. She frowns and looks down at her fork. "Im sorry. I don't mean it." She takes a swig of her water and keeps her head lowered.

"I know.", She sets her fork down and twists her fingers together.

"Here." She stands and reaches for a envelope that's sitting at the end of the counter. I take it from her hands and look from her to it before opening it and pulling out a note. The font is neat and precise as I begin to read over it.

Mr. Nicolai Piercy and Miss Tessa Erickson,

You are cordially invited to attend the grand opening of Ingrid Beckman's Winery. The event will be held at:
Martha's Vineyard Winery
On: April 3rd, 2015
At: 7:30 P.M.

RSVP by: March 30th, 2015

We hope to see you there.

I look up and at Tessa, her brow is creased. "Who is Ingrid Beckman?" She asks softly. I run a hand through my hair and sigh. "My grandmother."

Her eyes widen slightly. "What does your grandmother want with us? I thought you two weren't speaking?", I sigh again.

"There's a lot of people in my family that I'm not speaking with. Though, to be perfectly honest...I'm not sure." I trail off.

I was just as puzzled as Tessa was about this. "Are we going to go?" She asks. I look at her surprised by her question. "That depends would you like to go?" I ask.

She shrugs. "Maybe it won't be as bad as we think.", It's my grandmother...yes it can be-i think to myself.