(24) Detour

(Part 1)

Having been so chastised, Rashid left his eldest sibling's study with some haste and intended to improve on his kilij-training. It was not very long, however, before he was accosted by a visibly-anxious Azalea, wringing her own hands as she approached.

"Well, Pipsqueak? What did he say?"

"Akhi? I think he's not in a position to give clear rulings about anything just yet, Big Sis; as we all know, he's just hours from a tiring journey, on top of having come out of a patience-sucking siege alongside northern warbands."

"Ya wouldn't... advise that I see him now, then?"

"Not unless you wish to be torn right up by his proverbial fangs and claws that badly. I don't care what you've been fancying yourself to be—I daresay Akhi can see through that."

This princess opened her mouth as if to argue, but decided better.

"And where're you going?" she pressed on.

"Is that really of your concern now?"

He turned to leave, but she took hold of his left arm, detaining him.

"Rashid! Listen. I'm not seeking quarrels here, alright? My mother's very life hangs on Akhi's words, if he were to realize it—sure as heck he does. I... I'd need to channel this mounting anxiety somewhere, and you know that much, darn it!"

"What would you have me do, anyway? What can I do?" he shot back. "Akhi just would not listen to me, not now, and you best not try to make him to before you're quite ready. In the meantime, I have my own skills to try and improve on—skills that you helped teach, do recall."

"I know, but... have you none in mind that I could talk to, at least?"

Rashid shrugged his arm off Zalea's grip and sighed as he momentarily closed his eyes.

"Really, Azalea, what's happening to you? There were times you would presume to tell the rest of us what you thought we should do, or have done." He grinned. "To think that just another woman should prove capable to weaken your resolve so!"

"Look here, ya little freak." This princess glared back. "I will gladly stomach Akhi's displeasure, but not yer mockery on that 'woman' bit, I'm warnin' ya... much less Dastra. Heck, he might in turn start to lose sleep 'cause of this; I have ideas on just how bad that can get."

Rashid's gaze softened a fraction. "Should've let Akhi know of that... Alright, listen up. I doubt Big Sis Leia will be able to change Akhi's mind any better than she could've taught a horse to roar; so why not try and pay Auntie Alista another visit? I wish you well. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

This time Azalea let him go.

***

Azumi was allowed to re-enter the eldest prince's study shortly after his distinguished visitor had left, whereupon Mustafa confided to him what had passed.

"That said," the prince concluded, "what suggestions have you to make?"

The aide was silent for a good moment.

"To begin with, my prince," he said, "I humbly thank you for the extent of your trust in me that you should see fit to let out such a personal matter."

"We've seen enough 'twixt ourselves to not let distrust fester, Azu."

The immediate response was a smiling nod. "Secondly, sir... far be it for me to appear forcing your hand, but I feel this kind of issue, and others like it, would need to be addressed and put to rest before the envoys' arrival... which, for your information, shall take place in seven days' time. Nothing should remain that might cloud your judgment on such an important occasion."