(22) Father

(Part 1)

The encounter with Mama Viper occurred in the appointed time and in accordance with his own wishes. It also happened at the place he had come to expect: the chamber where Mirani's first fallout with her daughter had taken place.

What Aldeer did not even bother to consider was that the Amir himself might be inclined to take an active part this time around.

Be that as it may, at present, he was already being ushered before the royal couple. Having performed his obeisance, this visitor noticed that while Mirani's gaze was somewhat expectant, the ruler's was more than a tad suspicious.

"Surely this audience can come to pass in better locations, wife," Urdin observed.

"I like it here," came the reply. "So do my visitors. If you wish to be part of my proceedings, love, you would have to follow it through like everyone else. Kings are only the first citizens of their respective domains, with extra weights on their heads." Mira turned to regard this particular visitor. "State your business, peon!"

Aldeer dared not to meet his hostess's penetrating gaze.

"Your Majesty, I... wish to pledge anew my loyalty to you."

"Huh. Straightforward, are ya? I like it... but why the freak should I buy that? You had become a willing accomplice in at least two incidents that should never be so lightly overlooked, last I checked."

"That I am painfully aware of, my queen." Aldeer fell to his knees. "I shall therefore humbly accept whatever punishment, in whatever manner you shall endeavor to render, as the first and final token of this professed loyalty!"

"Well said."

"Punishment for what?" the Amir interjected, incredulous.

"My Amir..." the visitor looked up. "This worthless servant of yours had helped see to the demise of the previous vazir and one of his trustworthy aides... If we dare look so far backwards, I had also contributed to the long-forgotten attempt at Prince Mustafa; I had provided the rough sketches of the part of the corridor where the prince had been expected to pass, under express directions of Queen Mirani herself. Of the most recent assault on Princes Rashid and Dastra, however, I beg that you take my earnest pledge of innocence!"

The visitor's words fell on Urdin like so many thunderbolts, each hot and piercing.

"You..?" he stammered. "So... Yasnar's death was not natural, was it... and you had been part of it, had you not? Stay; you even mentioned that singular attempt at my dear boy Mustafa, and that Mira also had a part in it... Rashid and Dastra too had been assaulted... Why had I not been consulted on any of these, I wonder?"

His wife huffed. "One issue at a time, darling. You can ask anything you want after this; a lady's word. Now, Aldeer--any one of those misdeeds ya mentioned would merit a death sentence in and of itself. At the same time, I might not be too interested to humor you in that. Do you know why?"

"Your Majesty may be of the opinion that at present, an exponentially-larger issue would first have to be resolved... and decisively. If you spare me, I vow I shall dedicate my service to you and our Amir forevermore."

Mira narrowed her eyes. "Keen eyes ya got, but not enough."

The visitor lowered his gaze again, tore part of his garment, and this time took out a needle. "Shall I undertake to write this pledge in my own blood, then, my queen?"