Chapter Three

December soon faded into January. After that night on the Astronomy Tower, Carina was very delighted, seeing Draco and her met up at least three times a week up there. They would spend time chatting late into the night, and any doubts Carina had were gone as the Slytherin had been true to his word.

Nothing could possibly have ruined this. Carina had finally acquired a companion, a friend, and under no circumstance did she want to lose him. But alas, Carina Black's happiness was short-lived.

Carina was late to her Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson, because she overslept, which was a rare thing for her. Her footsteps echoed throughout the empty corridor. As she was running, a hand latched onto her arm, pulling her into an empty classroom.

Carina let out a slight yelp at the sudden change of events, but she felt as if her stomach dropped upon seeing Pansy Parkinson.

"You got off the hook before, but not this time you filthy, orphaned, mudblood!" she said maliciously.

Carina could feel tears stinging her eyes, but she wouldn't let them spill, especially not in front of Pansy for sure. It's not the word "mudblood" that affected her, but more likely the word "orphaned."

Carina noticed Crabbe and Goyle behind Pansy, flexing their knuckles, and off to the side was Draco. Her heart leapt at the sight of him. Draco gave an apologetic look before clearing his throat.

"Pansy, Crabbe, Goyle, let's go, we don't need to waste time on her besides, that Lupin may give us detention and I am not going to be spending my time scrubbing the floor. I'll make sure my father hears about it if it does happen."

Alone, Carina and Draco acted as themselves, as friends, joking around, laughing, but on Draco's request because of his family's beliefs, their friendship was kept a secret from others, which slightly upset Carina but not wanting to lose her only friend she agreed, therefore a reasoning behind Draco's current behavior.

"No Draco, you seem to keep giving excuses for her." she sneered and her face hardened, "You don't hold a soft spot for her, do you?" Draco's eyes slightly widened at Pansy's remark.

"No." He spoke firmly, looking anywhere but at Carina, who stared at him in disbelief.

He can't actually be serious? He's just going to let them do it?

Pansy, on the other hand, had raised her wand, while Crabbe and Goyle looked with amusement. Something overtook Carina for the first time, and she whipped out her wand, pointing it at the surprised brown haired girl, and cried out,

"Expelliarmus!" Pansy's wand shot out of her hand and landed a few feet away, but she made no move to grab it, as the quartet of Slytherins were frozen with shock from Carina's action, because they'd never witnessed her fight back, especially like this.

With tears blurring her vision, Carina hurried out of the classroom and ran away, ignoring the desperate cries of Draco, and she locked herself in a cubicle in the girl's toilet.

Slamming the door with a deafening bang, she leant against it, slowly sinking down until she hit the floor. Carina's heart had broken into pieces, as sob after sob escaped her.

She was hurt as she was painfully reminded yet again, that she has no parents, but what deepened the pain was how Draco shrank back into the shadows, not defending Carina at all, making Carina wish she hadn't made the mistake of befriending him in the first place, as the sense of betrayal that engulfed made her heartache worse.

It hurt a lot.

The tears silently stopped but now Carina was staring dead ahead with no emotion. How long she had locked herself away in that cubicle, she didn't know and nor did she care, but a soft knock on the door brought her back.