Chapter Two

The year began hectic once more. With the Dementors being assigned as guards at Hogwarts, to Sirius Black slashing the Fat Lady's portrait for not getting entry into Gryffindor Tower on Hallowe'en. Carina was eerily reminded of the previous year, when the heir of Slytherin had opened the Chamber of Secrets, causing a similar tense atmosphere.  

After a tiring day of classes in the coolness of the month of November, Carina was headed back to Gryffindor Tower in a daze, when she bumped into someone. Locking her eyes with grey ones, Carina's stomach twisted, and she spoke meekly.

"Sorry, I-I didn't mean to bump into you." Carina bent down to grab her fallen book, but the blonde haired boy was faster. Surprised, Carina looked at Draco Malfoy, who held out the book.

"No, it was my fault." Carina stared in disbelief for far too long, before quickly grasping her book, and half walking, half running the other way, only to come to a stand still, far away from him. Carina pinched herself to check if she wasn't dreaming.

Draco Malfoy, nice? He's always been so rude to me, surely it was a prank?

Carina couldn't decipher what caused the sudden change in the Slytherin's behaviour, but she earnestly hoped it wasn't part of a plot to bombard something sinister on her afterwards.

***

For the next little while, Carina had her eyes fixed upon Draco Malfoy, observing his every move. The peculiar thing was that he was acting nothing like the kindness he'd shown the other day, and was in his usual cold demeanor.

This made Carina doubt him, and it slightly disappointed her. There was a flicker of hope for her that he had indeed changed, and that she wouldn't have to cower in fear of his evil antics, but alas nothing works in the favor of Carina Black.

Sighing, Carina left the Great Hall and headed towards the library. On the way, however, Carina had the misfortune to run into a group of Slytherins, but their ringleader was still in the Great Hall.

"Well, well, look what we have here." The cold voice of Pansy Parkinson said.

Carina's eyes darted around and she made a move to turn, but a hand on her shoulder prevented her from doing so.

"Ah, not so fast, Black. We have some business to sort out." Pansy said with her icy, penetrating gaze.

Gathering up all the courage within her, Carina said, "As much as I'd love to stay, I have places to be." She took a few swift steps backwards only to bump into Crabbe and Goyle, who wore sinister looks on their faces. Gulping, Carina looked at Pansy who made a smug face, and she raised her wand. She opened her mouth but a different voice spoke.

"Parkinson, leave her be, we don't need to waste time on filth like her."

Turning around, Malfoy cronies moved aside to allow Draco through.

"But Malfoy-"

"No," he said with his eyes fixed on me, "let her go." Not believing her luck, Carina walked away without another word, not daring to look back, as if it would change the Slytherin's mind. Going to the library, only one thing was on Carina's mind,

What is Draco Malfoy playing at?

***

November faded into December, Carina was doing exceptionally brilliant in her classes, but the pile of homework was getting a bit overwhelming.

Carina was seated in a corner of the Gryffindor common room, completing a Charms essay. It was always like this, she'd be off to the side, away from everyone, and others ignored her too. Her shyness had become an obstacle in making friends in the first year, and it affects her till this date.