Chapter 12

The flight in the sky was too short as the Fier's steed landed near the forest's edge and its mighty wings disappeared into a puff of smoke. I ran my fingers over the steeds warm head and marveled at the fact it wasn't burning me.

"Did you enjoy her ride? She is usually more tame than this." I looked back to him and smiled. I had never flown like that before. It was exhilarating to fly above a field of grass that told me this place was in late spring. The birds around us chirped with high pitches that said that they liked their home. I liked it too.

"It was amazing. Thank you..." I realized after a moment that I didn't know his first name. Only his last that separated us with lines of pain and years of hatred.

"Darren," he finished for me. Now I knew his whole name. Darren Fier.

"Well, thank you Darren Fier, but I think I must be returning home now." I swung my right leg over the steeds mighty head and slid from the saddle. I landed lightly and looked around, feeling much shorter than a moment ago.

"Please Arina, call me just Darren. I prefer to leave the last name to animosity." Taken aback, I wondered why he would do such a thing but if he was willing to reject his name, then that was something.

"Okay then, 'Just' Darren. I take my leave here." I began to walk away but a thud behind me and a warm hand stopped me.

"Wait, can I at least give you a ride home?" My eyes widened. If any of the Liquis' found that I had even talked to a Fier, I can't even think what they would do here. Maybe it is the block for me.

"I will walk. It is a nice day after all." How could you tell if it was good or bad. Did it even rain here?

"It is a long way to the city from here. Are you sure you wouldn't care for a ride?" Something in the back of my head warned me before I felt my own steed's presence approach.

"I'm really okay," I spoke hurriedly. I think he finally took the point cause his face dropped. I froze, confused.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you but I'm just trying to find an excuse to stay away from the castle for as long as possible." I turned back to him, no longer worried that I may just get caught by Aberdeen with a Fier.

"Why does a Fier want to stay away from the castle? I thought that you all live it up in there." This new attitude was foreign as I tried to make it sound like I was annoyed when really I was concerned.

"My father is not the nicest person since my mother left. The King holes himself inside of his room and doesn't bother others except for ordering them around or parties." The King? So the Fier's are in power. I knew I was connecting things right.

When I felt Aberdeen's presence draw even closer, I tossed an apologetic look over my shoulder and turned.

"Wait! Will I ever see you again?" This felt cheesy. Like the Romeo and Juliet story where Romeo wants to see Juliet again. However, instead of turning back and saying, "In my dreams," I said,

"No. I can't see you again." Then I ran off into the forest as fast as I could, within moments, finding my water steed with his stripe glowing and a look of worry in his eyes.