⇛ 𝐂𝐇. 𝟏𝟖

Start from the beginning

"i don't like her." jeno whispered.

"the ministry of magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

"what is she on about?" chenle scoffed, turning around to finish his food.

"she's giving me bad vibes." yunhee admitted. "i just hope nothing else changes here."

"well, yun, i know one thing for sure has changed." jeno said, wiping his hands on a piece of tissue.

"what's that?"

"we're the one that have to lead the new kids to the common room later while explaining everything and we get to stay up past curfew."

⚯͛

𝐬𝐞𝐩 𝟐 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟓

in the first class for defense against the dark arts, yunhee had her head rested on the table, half asleep. she was exhausted from her restless night on the first day back at hogwarts. every time she closed her eyes, she would see professor trelawney crying in front of umbridge and an angry dumbledore. the images were plaguing her dreams and she wanted it to stop.

she sat up in her chair when something hot landed on her head. it was a paper bird. she quickly brushed away the burning pieces of crumbling paper and looked over her shoulder at umbridge.

"good morning, children. ordinary wizarding level examination." she spoke, using her wand to write on the blackboard. "O, W, L's. more commonly known as OWL's. study hard and you will be rewarded. fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe."

she pointed to the books stacked on her table and they moved forwards, placing two on each table.

"your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. but you'll be pleased to know, from now on you will be following a careful structured, ministry-approved course of defensive magic. yes?"

"there's nothing in here about using defensive spells." someone mentioned and umbridge let out a loud giggle.

"using spells? well, i can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"this is a school of magic, how can we not learn about magic?" yunhee asked jeno who looked at her, defeated. umbridge heard what she said and walked over to her table.

"you'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."

"what use is that? if we're attacked, it won't be risk-free." mark said and yunhee stifled a laugh at the way he was challenging the stubborn woman.

"students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." umbridge snapped. "it is the view of the ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations which, after all, is what school is all about."

"and how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?"

"if he doesn't stay quiet, she might use the killing curse on him." jeno whispered, glancing at mark who he knew wouldn't give up.

"she definitely looks pissed enough to do it." yunhee replied.

"who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" umbridge asked, mockingly.

"oh, i don't know. maybe lord voldermort."

"and... the bomb has dropped." jeno sighed as the class broke out into whispers and umbridge's face morphed into an angry scowl then a forced toothy grin.