Chapter Thirty-Eight

Only when I was sitting in my hospital bed alone, after what felt like hours of being looked at by doctors, did I realise I hadn't cried one since I'd gotten out of the shed at school. Which was odd. I cry at everything. I cry when the dogs die in films or when a teacher raises their voice that little bit too loud. And it wasn't like I had constantly felt safe and happy, there were moments where everything felt hopeless, and I still hadn't shredded a single tear. But when I saw Dad barge into the hospital room, that hopelessness launched one huge attack and smash whatever it was that had stopped me from crying these past few days.
He finally knew I was okay! That was good. That was good. But, it suddenly felt like I was back where I had started. When he dashed over and out his arms around me (dodging some of the plugs they stuck into my arm). The hug was warm, safe, and made me want to be a child again. To become complacent. Give up, go home and be looked after.
But don't get me wrong, I had missed him.
And I was grateful that he didn't move from my bedside at all or let go of my hand. He didn't say much, didn't ask a single question and barely even bothered with the comforting words. He just stroked my hand while doctors fluttered in and out. Every now and then he'd say something like 'when we get home, I'll cook whatever you want,' and then look sad after because he had just reminded himself I'd been gone. The only other thing he really said was that there were police waiting to talk to me, but they couldn't until Fay arrived. I'd have argued, but I barely had the energy to think of the reason why I didn't want her here.
But eventually he got up and patted my hand gently as he left in on the bed like an inanimate object or small animal. "I'll be right back. I'm going to get some coffee. You'll be alright?"
I nodded, though not entirely sure. He returned the nod and slipped out the room.
I took the opportunity to shuffle around and make myself more comfortable. I'd tried laying down but looking up at the plain white ceiling felt daunting, so I sat up again to face at the rest of the room.
This must have been a private room, or maybe private hospital. It was pretty spacey (not like what you see on Causality), with a sofa not far to the right of me, a table and chair in the corner and TV attached to wall in front of me. Almost like a hotel. Everything was mint coloured, my bed sheets, the sofa cushions and the ambient painting behind my bed. The curtains were mint too, and were partially covering a large window that looked out over the city, inner city. I was still far from home. I could have entertained myself with the TV, or one of the magazines on the table next to me, but it didn't feel right. It felt wrong that I had that kind of luxury. Even being alive felt like one, Luka hadn't. Being left alone meant that guilt consumed me.
When the door opened again, I looked up excitedly, hoping for it to be Dad so I didn't have to think anymore.
It wasn't him. It was better. And if I hadn't cried before...
Eden stood by the door in shock for a moment. Maybe he had to actually check it was me. Finally though, he rushed over.
He didn't touch me, he looked like he wanted to but hesitated. Yeah, typical Eden. I threw myself into his chest as he sat on the side of my bed.
"Thank fuck..." He muttered, eventually putting his arms around me. "You're okay..."
I could hear how fast his human heart was beating.
"I was so worried... seriously! There was no way you ran off with Sidney! Not without telling me anyway." He muttered the last bit.
I sat back, unintentionally pulling away. "Of course not! Is that seriously what people are saying?"
He nodded, looking dejected because I pulled myself out of the hug. "I called so many times that night... When you didn't reply... Well... I didn't expect this." He shook his head to break himself out of his own rambling. "Who... who actually did this?"
"Eden." I said, trying to sound gentle. "Do you really need me to tell you?"
One of his hands gripped the bed sheets. "I just need to hear it."
I swallowed loudly. I didn't want to say it either. "It was your - "
Like saying his name summoned evil, the doors opened once more. It might as well be followed by thunder and lightening.
"Out."
Fay pointed at Eden, and then back at the door she came in through. Rather than move, Eden was looking directly at her. I couldn't see his face, but I could imagine he looked more than sour.
"Now." She added. "And go home, no more loitering around and waiting for an opportunity to sneak in."
I hated her.
"No." I said. "He's fine where he is."
"I'm sure the police waiting outside to interview you have other ideas."
I really hated her. Was it okay to hate someone who raised you?
But her words made Eden sigh and give in. He stood up and faced me to smile for just a second.
"I'm glad you're okay." He said, and began walking towards the door.
"You're not to come back." Fay said as he passed her.
"Yes, Mother."
Fay's eyes narrowed at him. It was funny looking at her now because I always thought my mum was tall making short compared to her. Yet, Eden was almost her height now, even when she was in heels, and I was only slightly shorter than him at 5,6.
When Eden was gone, she dropped her handbag onto one of the sofa and muttered. "I hate teenagers."
Unluckily for me, she came closer and filled the seat Dad had been in not too long ago so she could give me a look over. It was almost motherly how she brushed my hair out my face and examined the bruise on my head. Then patted my shoulder and leant back as if all the contact had been a bit too much for her.
"Not too bad, then?"
"I was locked in a shed for a week." I practically spat.
Her eyes widened. Any other occasion, I might have felt accomplished that I managed to surprise her.
"You didn't know what happened?" I asked.
"I had suspicions." She said. "I did just think you'd done a runner though, because of what you found out about Victor."
"He told you that?" I asked.
"He said you ran off right after." She shrugged.
I mean, if he meant ran off straight into a wall, he was right.
I scoffed. "I'm not going to be quiet about this."
Fay frowned. "Don't try act all grown up and just let me deal with it."
"What's your plan then?"
Her frown intensified, maybe not liking the 'talking back.'
"It would be a lot simpler if you kept your mouth shut, we can all get what we want if you don't start making accusations." She scowled.
   That didn't mean let Victor Quinn be punished, did it?
"How many missing children before you draw the line?" I almost raised my voice.
Almost exactly how she did to Eden, she narrowed her eyes, but didn't seem surprised that I knew. "Far too invested now." She muttered.
"I'm not keeping my mouth shut."
"Good luck then." She said and stood up quickly, telling me she'd had enough. Without a sweet goodbye, she walked out.
Dad was on the other side of the door, he frowned as his wife did nothing to acknowledge him as she passed, but continued to walk in with a paper cup filled with coffee like it hadn't happened.
"I thought if I was gone longer you and Eden could have more time together. I guess your mum ruined that for you." He sighed, sitting back in the chair.
"You knew he was here?"
"He didn't hide very well." He sort of laughed. "Your mother didn't want him near the hospital until she had seen you first. But I'd already told him where to find you by the time that message reached Victor."
I must have looked annoyed about it because Dad made that smile that spoke the words 'it's alright.' I still couldn't accept it.
"I don't want them to get away with this."
I got the feeling he had no idea what I was talking about, if he had overheard anything, or was just trying to be comforting. And when he said "I know," it didn't feel as reassuring as he probably intended. It was unintentionally patronising, as if it was already out of control. Like there was nothing I could do.

"You have to bear in mind she has a head injury, and is on pain killers." Fay said, leading a couple of police officers out of the room. "Nothing she says right now holds much weight."
I didn't know if that was true (I didn't even know if I was on painkillers, or what for). If not for my phone being at Michael's, I would have looked all the legal stuff up.
"The doctor's think she's recovering well, so if you want to get a real statement..." She continued to mutter, eyeing me as the door closed between me, her and the police.
I sighed. That had gone worse than expected. Two police officers came in to talk to me for a brief few seconds Fay must have been missing. And in those brief few seconds I'd barely managed to say anything before she came storming in, pretended to make a fuss over my head like I didn't have concussion but was in fact robbed of my brain. Then started accusing to officers of being inconsiderate, for not waiting until her mother was with her to start asking questions.
I couldn't hear what other lies Fay was continuing to tell them until she leant back against the door a little, opening it ever so slightly and letting me hear. As if to tell me, this is the story we're going with, listen closely.
"Yes, I know, she's been pulling things like this for a while. Recently, she found out about... an affair between me and one of my clients and family friend. She's been doing anything to get back at us." Fay said.
If only I wasn't so afraid to pull these IV things out of my arm, I'd storm right over and tell them the truth. But besides. I'd be proving her point by painting myself the 'rebellious teen' image Fay was doing for them.
One of the police officers replied, I didn't hear what they said, it must have been a question because Fay answered.
"Well it would of have to have been the boyfriend! He was excluded from a fight in school, I remember telling her to let him go because of it... of course she didn't listen. And if she's been chasing him for god knows how long, who knows when she last had a proper meal."
It shouldn't have been good enough evidence, in fact, there was none at all accept a bias character profile of my not-so boyfriend. But I suppose it made more sense than me accusing a family friend of not only my assault, but the murder of another child from years ago. Victor Quinn had probably gotten rid of all physical evidence of me being in the shed as soon as I was out of it.
A few awkward mutters were exchanged, and I noticed Dad slip past the police and his wife to get back into the room and the door stayed shut behind him.
"I think I'll go home when your Mum's done and grab you some clothes. I don't know what you were wearing when you came in but it definitely wasn't yours." He said.
I was about to tell they were Angie's, but the words died before I could even begin to say them. I had no clue what I could and couldn't say to help my case.
"Do you want anything? Books? I don't know what happened to your phone... Um, your games console, the one you can play on the small screen?"
I laughed. "You'd have to bring the whole box thing." I told him. But if he was going to do that, I wish I could at least have Eden here to play with me, or just anyone in general.
"There is one thing."
Dad hummed.
"Could I... have some friends visit?" I asked.
"What's wrong with just your boring old Dad?" He said, trying to lighten the mood, I humoured him a little by giggling.
"Alright." He eventually said, "I'll talk to mum and see what I can do."
"You don't have to talk to Mum."
He sighed, which was all I was getting as a response to that and said: "Who do you want to invite?"