Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

 Opening my eyes, I saw Nathan's stupid legs in the distance. Stupid, selfish bastard. Not only had he fucked up my hair, but he had scared me half to death too. I rolled my eyes childishly and made a move to break through the ocean surface But, then an idea struck me.

Nathan didn't know I could swim...

And like that, I thought of the perfect way to get Nathan back. Was pretending that you drowned an incredibly insensitive joke to play on someone? Yes! 

But was I bitchy enough to do it anyway? Why, yes, yes, I was.

 With my plan firmly set in my mind, I didn't re-surface the water. Instead, I closed my eyes and let all the muscles in my body go limp.

After about ten seconds of aimlessly sinking deeper, a crashing sound emitted through the water. I felt bubbles of water beat vigorously around my skin, and then, suddenly, a warm hand grabbed my wrist. I was tugged upward with a surprising amount of strength, and soon enough, my head popped up above the water. Nathan wrapped one of his arms around my waist to keep me afloat while I kept my eyes closed and my body unmoving.

"Shit, Sophie. Wake up," he swore, his voice cracking slightly as he started to shake me.

 I couldn't see him, but the level of desperation in his tone was almost haunting. "No, no, no. Come on, wake up, you're not dead, he said with a slight stammer as he gave me a light double slap on the cheek. "Fuck," he hissed as he likely ran a hand through his hair.

Then I felt his shaky hands drift from my cheek to my lips. Then I fell in confusion as he pinched my lips a little, so they were pursed. Then there was silence before I felt warm air brush against my lips.

What the fuck was he-

Oh shit, he was about to give me mouth to mouth!

Realizing I had clearly taken the joke way too far, I snapped open my eyes. My heart rate intensified as I found his soft eyes looking right back into my own. They were bloodshot and were swimming with an overwhelming amount of fear. 

The expression took me aback, and guilt twisted away at me painfully. Had I really scared him that badly? God, I was a bitch.

 One of his hands was still on my cheek while the other grazed gently against my lips. The fear in his eyes faded to one of relief as his eyes flickered back and forth between mine. Then taking me completely by surprise, he pulled me to his chest and enveloped me in a tight hug.

Not knowing what to do, I gingerly wrapped my arms around his back and gave him a double pat like the awkward person I was. 

"I'm so sorry. God, that was all my fucking fault," he said softly near my ear. "I should have asked first and-" 

He cut himself off and pulled himself back abruptly before narrowing his eyes. "Wait, a minute, how did you wake up so abruptly?" he said slowly, suspicion lacing his tone.

I withdrew my hands from around his neck and scratched the back of my neck awkwardly. "Yeah, about that," I drawled. "I might have..er..maybe faked drowning, to maybe kinda scare you," I squeaked with a nervous laugh as I vigilantly avoided eye contact.

 There was a long period of silence. And then more silence and then even more.

Suddenly, Nathan made a large swiping motion with his hand and splashed me right in the face. I gasped in surprise and raised a hand over my face to protect myself as more and more waves came firing towards my face.

 "Okay, okay, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," I spluttered as I started to back away from him. 

"Good, you should be; you scared the shit out of me," he snapped moodily as he sent another sharp splash my way.