Chapter 2: Surprises, surprises

CHAPTER TWO: Suprises, surprises

“Did you pack your chargers?” my mom asked.

“Yeah, I did.”

“Did you bring identification?”

“Yes, I did, mom.”

“Did you bring Susie?”

“Yes.” Susie is a cute doll my parents bought me for my first birthday and ever since then, I have not spent a night without it by my side. It may sound weird to any normal person that a teenage girl still sleeps with a doll, but hey, as long as no one in my family spills the beans, no one will ever know.

“Still can’t believe you sleep with a doll,” my brother said, shaking his head.

“Still can’t believe you peed the bed until you were ten!” I retorted.

“I’m actually proud of that now that I’ve grown up.” I rolled my eyes at him before turning my attention back to my mother who was in the front seat, next to my father who was driving the car.

“You’re positive you have everything right?” my mom asked, not even noticing the little bicker I had with my brother.

“Yeah, mom, I’m sure.”

“Okay.” The rest of the trip to the airport consisted of my parents yelling at us to stop bickering at the back of the car. Jake and I can pretty much argue about anything, but we both know we don’t mean the insults we throw at each other.

“Jake, please go grab a trolley,” my mother instructed once we reached the airport’s parking lot.

“Ask Zoey to grab the trolley, it’s her luggage,” my brother complained.

“Do what I say, Jake.” My brother silently muttered profanities before wandering off to look for a trolley. Once he found one, he made his way back to us and narrowed his eyes at me, silently telling me I should have offered to grab the trolley instead. I stuck my tongue out at him and grinned.

Once all my bags were loaded onto the trolley, we made our way up the elevator to the airport. The moment the elevator doors opened, a cold blast of air greeted us, immediately relieving us from the summer heat.

“Counter D28,” I muttered to myself after checking the domestic departure board. We all made our way to the counter, which surprising had no line. After greeting the smiling lady behind the counter, I passed her my student card for identification. While waiting for her to check my student card, I got a sudden urge to stand on the conveyer belt to weigh myself but thought against it because people would probably think I’m out of my mind. Once she gave me the okay, I placed my check-in bags on the conveyer belt and checked them in.

“Carry-on luggage please, we just want to make sure it’s not too heavy,” the lady said, smiling. I placed my carry-on luggage on the conveyer belt to weigh. Once everything was sorted, the lady handed me my ticket.

“Have a nice flight!” I thanked her before walking away from the check-in counters. My family continued to walk with me until we came to a red line on the ground that said ‘passengers with boarding pass only’.

“Take care, sweetie,” my dad said.

“I will!” I replied before giving him a hug.

“I’ll miss you. Take good care of yourself and remember to call me at least once every three days, okay?” my mom who was on the verge of crying said.

“I will, I promise.” I gave my mom a hug and kissed her cheeks before turning to my brother.

“So, this is goodbye,” my brother said.