7

The girl

As she reached near the stairs though, she began untying the bag.

“Take it with you-,” he said.

“No. It’s yours, how can I take it?”

“You could give it back. I live right there,” he pointed, the memory of the afternoon reappearing.

She gave him a sneaky smile, “I know.”

They were both thinking it. So she better just say it, she thought, "I-"

“Im sorry!” He said, cutting her, “I didn’t mean to-,”

“Its okay. I should’ve closed my curtains before exploding into the pure ballet.”

He chuckled, “It was pure ballet.”

“I know you’re kidding but thanks,”she said leaning back.

“No, it really was. You have some good moves.”

She rolled her eyes, “There should be an app that tells girls when boys lie to them. Really help the world.”

He replied with “They would earn a lot for sure.”

What was wrong with her? She was not able to stop smiling.

He spoke again, “I was not lying. You know Laya,” he said getting used to her name on his tongue, “When people do things they love, there’s this fire that grows in them. It’s plain. But as their passion shifts and takes form, the fire becomes a time bomb. I saw something like that in you today,” he gave her a sidelong glance.

Her eyes softened, “You talk like you have one too.”

Yes. I’m not as lucky to be good at weird dancing though. I like bowling.”

“Nice, I never tried bowling. The damn ball is so heavy,” she lifted her arm up, stretching it.

“Once you hold it, you get used to it, kind of like gun riffles.”

“You’ve held guns?”

“No!  I watch a lot of movies-,” he said. That was when he spotted a grey car halting right outside the gates. He instantly recognized the woman sitting in the driver’s seat. Laya's mom. It was parked right outside the gates, when he squinted his eyes he could see her talking on the phone. But he knew she could come in any second.

Laya followed his eyes and saw the same.

“Ah-“ she pressed her lips together, “I have to go.”

“Okay,” he smiled. She slowly turned to go up, so slow he could see her thinking.

He had to ask. He wouldn’t be able to live with himself, knowing she was living right there. Right there with all her weird dance moves.

“Laya!” his shout made her turn, he took it as a yes and walked closer.

“Would you like to bowl? Say tomorrow? It’s five minutes far, near Uttaran Stores-,”

She smiled, loving the genuine offer.
Laya was about to refuse when she thought again. Why was she saying no? It was just bowling. Or maybe something more but she knew this guy was no harm. Though the fact that he had seen almost all of her weirdness before they even knew each other yet he asked for more, was almost unbelievable to her.
“Will there be popcorn?”

He was rattled with the sudden question. He was sure it was going to be a no or a yes, leaning more to the No. But popcorn? Never thought that would come up.

He thought about it, “Actually yes, they serve flavoured popcorn there, with Samosas and sodas.”

She felt like a winner, “Then okay, see you at four tomorrow?”

He nodded, “It’s a date.”

Tanay frowned realizing what he said but she just smiled back, walking back home.

“I’m warning you right now. I’ll be bringing all my weird dancing with me, Tanay,” he heard her yell.

And he chuckled to himself, staring at her blur form, standing right beneath her wing, “I’ll be waiting, Weird dancing girl.”

The
End.