5

The girl

After the window fiasco, Laya called Prerna, her only friend and told her exactly what had transpired. Prerna laughed herself hoarse at the story. Laya folded her clothes while scolding Prerna. But she continued laughing.
“I am so embarrassed Prerna! I wish I could move to another place.”
“You don’t get down much anyway Laya, unless you magically start roaming all around the city, you have nothing to worry about.”
Laya talked for about five minutes more before she cut the call. Her worry was no lighter. The boy with perky eyes still lived right across her.

But she moved on to her chores. Because she did not want to find out what her mom would do, if the chores weren’t all crossed out.

Next was cleaning out the store room and organizing it. So she wore her costume. A dupatta wrapped over her hair, masked around her mouth, rubber gloves and old toy specs. She smiled, as she began, almost forgetting it.

It took her a good half an hour but she did it. After, she had to shower because of the dust and sweat she won as a reward.

She felt fresher now, she checked the list again. Only the corn and brooming the halls left. She exhaled.
But there was no corn in the kitchen. Why did her mom want corn then? She tsked thinking of her next move.
Laya picked up the phone again, dialling her mom. She stopped in her tracks as she realized it was 6.30. Her mom may be coming home late today.

But the chore…she had to do it right?

Yes. Said an instinct within.

So Laya pulled out her purse and sweeped down the stairs. The vegetable vendor was close by with his cart and she spotted him easily.
Grabbing some baby corn along with the huge ones, she paced by. The bag in her hand as she thought of corn and then, popcorn. She badly wanted to have popcorn.. with hot butter and caramel.

Drizzling on top of a big bucket of popcorn.

She dreamt, following the gait of a tall man standing at the gates. But he twisted, shocking Laya. And her bags fell.

She stood stationary cut off a foodgasm.

The man before her was frozen too. He didn’t even help her get her stuff up. She looked at him once as she picked up her bag and she knew why he wasn’t helping.

It was no man. But a boy. The boy.

The boy with perky eyes. The boy who witnessed too much.