29| Nyx

Edited.

I could tell why Beckham was the most suitable fit for the title of captain. He always put the team first, had a magnificent relationship with his fellow teammates, and was a hard worker. The guys automatically looked to him for advice or their next move. He wasn't just a captain; he was the captain.

But for the past few days, he'd been disrobed of that title. Emphasis on the title. Because bucko may have had to abdicate the throne for a few days, but his attitude didn't catch the drift. I've had to deal with him trying to control everything, including the fundraiser because he couldn't control his team. He wanted to pick which groceries we bought, what we ate, and what time we did things. It was obvious he needed to release that need to control.

Benson was pissed when he heard about the situation, to say the least. But when Beckham informed his dad about it, the men agreed that he shouldn't have touched a professor, but he'd done the right thing. After talking to Dean Waverly, it was decided that although Beckham was protecting me, he still had to be punished. His suspension of twenty days was narrowed down to a week, much to his relief. But I still had a few more days left to deal with not Captain Hunt.

"You'll see when we get there," I admonished, slapping Beckham's hand when he tried to ransack through the bag containing my costume for the fundraiser. He moved around me, nearly seizing the bag before I shoved his chest. "You're like a little baby, stop." When his arms went around my waist and pulled me to his chest, I scowled. "I hate you."

Beckham bent forward, taking my bottom lip between his teeth. When he let go, he pressed a kiss to my mouth, gripping my waist. "I'm curious."

"You're annoying," I muttered, stepping back to look at his costume. Earlier, when he picked Annie and me up from our place after Georgia left with the girls, I burst into laughter the moment my eyes settled on him. Dressed in black pants with a white shirt, a tie and a jacket that said Sergeant Hunt, he looked every inch the police officer. "Where did you even get this outfit? Don't tell me you had it specially made."

He shrugged, attempting to peek into the bag one last time before I pinched him. "It was my dad's before he was promoted to lieutenant." I walked around him to go to his dresser, where my makeup was splayed. Swiftly, I began depositing the items back into the bag, sparing a second to check the time. "So, you're wearing blue eyeshadow," Beckham pondered aloud, watching me gather my things. "What are you, some kind of sexy Elsa?"

I rolled my eyes. "There's no sexy anything. This is a fundraiser, not a frat party." He nodded in consideration, watching me put away the nearly full tube of foundation. "You guys should get going if you wanna help the other students set up." It was agreed upon that the guys would help set up and welcome the guests and I would arrive fashionably late with Annie, who still had no idea that we were celebrating her too. Once my makeup was packed, I turned to find Beckham still standing there. "What are you waiting for?"