Chapter 65 - A Brief Return of Ms. Meanie

Start from the beginning

"Well, yeah, I just want you to emotionally prepare yourselves in case that kind of person decides to show up and be mean," Crutchie nodded, "cool?"

"Yeah," Davey agreed, "we can handle it,"

As it turned out, a Venus flytrap could be a real conversation starter. At least four people asked about Laurence Chompington in the first fifteen minutes, and Maine would just respond with a laugh, "He's easier to care for than a dog," and that was a good enough explanation for everyone. 

"OH HY GOODNESS!" Katherine suddenly exclaimed, "Vivian? Sky?" 

"Katherine! Sarah! It's so good to see you!" Vivian ran and hugged her friends.

"It's been way too long since we saw you," Katherine smiled, "you both look like you're doing well," 

Vivian had clearly gotten a haircut, but she still wore the headband that gave her that signature Vivian look. Sky was now wearing glasses, and following close behind him was someone Katherine hadn't noticed before.

"You're Vivian's little brother, right?" Katherine crouched down so she was at eye-level with the 11-year-old.

"Um, sister," Vivian corrected her, "Silvey,"

"Oh, my bad," Katherine apologized.

"It's no problem," Silvey shrugged.

"Silvey, you're worse than Sky. Yes, it is a problem. People need to respect your proper name and pronouns," Vivian scoffed.

"She said she was sorry," Silvey defended.

"Okay, yeah, I'm being a little protective," Vivian admitted. 

"Sky!" Maine and her family had caught up with Katherine and Sarah, and as one might expect, Maine was beyond thrilled to see Sky.

"Hey! How was cheer this year?" Sky high-fived Maine. 

"Other than the little while I wasn't cheer captain, it was great," Maine shrugged. Conversation continued from there, but no one seemed to notice that Ella and Silvey had made eye contact and were starting a shy conversation.

"I like your shirt," Silvey smiled.

"Thanks, I like your shoes," Ella replied. 

"Thanks,"

Several seconds of silence followed, then Ella broke the silence to introduce herself.

"I'm Ella, what's your name?" 

"Silvey," 

"That's a pretty name,"

"Thanks, I chose it myself,"

"Oh, that's cool," Ella nodded.

"How old are you?" Silvey asked.

"Nine," Ella shrugged, "how about you?"

"Eleven," Silvey chuckled, "so I'm going to be in middle school,"

"Wow," Ella nodded, "I've got a couple years before I'll be in middle school,"

"What are you two chatting about?" Maine cut in.

"Nothing," Ella stepped backwards slightly, "we're just introducing ourselves," 

"That's nice, carry on," Maine nodded, "but we to keep walking,"

"Sorry about her," Ella joked, "she's my step-sister,"

Silvey laughed, "Sisters can be fun, and annoying sometimes, but mostly fun,"

"Yeah," Ella agreed, "I mean if it weren't for Maine, I never would have learned to do gymnastics,"