Chapter Sixteen: Nashville Knockdown (Part II)

"So, Mister and Miss, where 'ya headed off to?" the 'driver' of the cab asked in a trained, pleasant sounding voice, not having set off yet.

"We're just... going to a dry cleaners', sir," Shizuka said as she sat in the back of the car with Clapton. "The thing is, we're just visiting the city, and we actually don't know where to find one."

"Hah, well, good thing you two came across me. I just so happen to be an expert in all things Nashville," the driver proclaimed. "Hey, I'll tell ya two something. There are a few dry cleaners Downtown."

"Oh, really?" Shizuka said, relieved that her blouse was able to be saved.

"Yep! But their prices are all marked up ridiculously high. I'm sure no one visiting the city is interested in paying that much just to have their clothing cleaned. So, here's what I can do for ya. I know a good dry cleaners in South Nashville with reasonable prices. It's only about a 10 minute drive from here, so I can take you there if you're willing to leave Downtown for a short bit. How 'bout it?"

Shizuka looked at Clapton, seeing if he was okay with the driver's proposal. The young man nodded yes, but with a look in his eyes that said 'We need to be careful'. With that, Shizuka told the driver to start his vehicle.

About five minutes into their ride, the driver began to inquire about his passengers. He planned to play it off as 'southern hospitality', so as to not arouse suspicion from the two.

"So, you two are visitors, huh? Where are you guys coming from?"

"I'm from England." Clapton said.

"England? I sure don't get too many visitors from there. This is the first time in a while I've driven a foreigner. What about you, Miss, uh..."

"Joestar. I'm from New York."

Clapton stared at the girl through the corners of his eyes, alarmed but tried to keep it low-key.

The driver smiled, knowing that the right people had gotten into his taxi. 

"Broudie's plan is bound to succeed," he told himself in his head. "Ooh, I can already smell that sweet, sweet money!"

"What brings you, a guy from England and a gal from New York down to this city?" he asked.

"We're, uh..." Clapton said, trying not to reveal his purpose in Nashville, knowing that Shizuka had already revealed her last name. He wasn't sure whether there were any enemy Stand Users in the area, but he wasn't going to take any risks. He felt butterflies in his stomach, and that was enough for him to max up his purely metaphorical alert level. "... just enjoying ourselves here."

"I noticed you two leaving that meat-and-three spot. Were you out on a... date or something?"

The two youths both cringed at this. 

"No- no, we weren't. We were just having dinner together." Shizuka said.

"So, a date, right?" the driver said with glee.

Clapton wanted to say no by saying that there were two other people eating with them, but doing so would've inadvertently revealed Josuke and Monica's involvement with them, and thus put them in potential danger.

"Shizuka, what are you saying?" he said, elbowing her in the rib. "It was a date."

"What the hell-

Clapton elbowed her once again with his hulking arm, and this time, Shizuka understood his cue.

"Oh... oh, yeah, you're right. It... was a date." she said, forcing a laugh.

"Mmm, Nashville," the driver said reminiscently. "Nowhere near what Paris is in terms of its reputation for love, but with enough luck, you might just leave your status as a bachelor, or, bachelorette behind."