Chapter 4

"Time for school." Ashley's all too cheery voice woke me from a particularly pleasant dream involving chocolate and a certain actor that plays a mischievous Norse god. I groaned and pulled the duvet around me tighter. "Ah ah ah, you're healed enough to go to school missy." She yanked the cover away and poked my face. I growled and rolled over only to have her poke my still bruised ribs. Yelping I jumped from he bed and glared at her. "Sorry but I wouldn't want you to be late." I rolled my eyes and walked to the bathroom to get ready. I looked horrendous, having to put on a lot of make up to cover the fact that I had gotten in a brawl with a bunch of friggin' vampires. I sighed and piled my hair on top of my head and pulled on a ratty old sweatshirt that Mike used to wear. Mike. I winced as I remembered and my heart seemed to cave in on itself and twist in my chest. Letting out a breath I squeared my shoulders and instantly regretted it, pain shot up my shoulder and slithered down my back. Shuddering I grabbed my school things and headed downstairs and began looking for Mike.

"Mike left already, said you'd find your own way to school?" Mama raised an eyebrow and peered at from over her coffee mug.

"Oh... Uh yeah I must of forgotten. C'mon Ash, we're walking." I yelled upstairs.

"Walking? You're crazy if you think I'm wal-" I cut her off with a look and she must of understood because she smiled and nodded. "Oh yeah we're walking. Fresh air and all that jazz." She made sarcastic jazz hands and slipped out of the door. As soon as we were away from the house she turned to me.

"Walking?" I nodded and limped a bit.

"Mike said we'd 'find our own way to school'. Can you believe it?" Ashley scoffed and looked away. A moment of silence stretched between us be for she said quietly,

"Maybe it's because you broke up with him."

"I broke up with him for a reason. If he had ties to me he had ties to the vampire community and I honestly don't want him to get hurt." I looked down and let another patch of silence wrap around us before I spoke again. "I don't want you or Mama to get hurt either so I'm going to ask Alexander if I can move back in with him..."

"WHAT?" She screamed. I flinched and looked away. "Oh hell no. You are not moving back in with that psychopath. I won't allow it. No. Do you hear me? No."

"It's not your decision. It's mine and I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe." I walked ahead and hoped that the dread didn't show on my face.

***

"Hey Lina, I hope you're feeling better." I smiled to Bram and nodded.

"I'm feeling fine Bram thank you. How was your break?"

"Oh it was great! I moved in with my big brother and got some new comic books." He gave me that goody smile that you couldn't help but love.

"How is your brother's place?"

"He wasn't home most of the time, he usually isn't."

"Oh I'm sorry."

"Ha no need my brother is kind of a pain in the neck." He laughed and so did I. I tried to steer clear of Ashley and Mike all together. Bram was my main compainion but many of my peers came around to give me well wishes. I was both relieved and terrified as I walked from the large brick building and down the familiar streets. Stepping up to the large front doors I let myself in and waited from him in the large parlor he had furnished because I told him to. As six rolled around and the sun was setting I heard him coming down the stairs.

"Rozalina?"

"Alexander, we need to talk."

~~~

The wind writhed and curled around him, pushing him forward and stinging his eyes to the point of tears. This was the time he was most at peace, with hard ground under him, the wind pushing him toward a location he didn't know and didn't care, and the trees. Oh how he loved the trees. The way they turned a dark shade of green and some bore fruit in the summer, the reds, golds, and oranges the leaves took on in the fall. Even when they had no leaves in the winter their trunks and branches twisting upward, a beautiful skeleton waiting to be breathed to life once again. And then, in the spring, where everything is reborn, trees thrive. He loved all aspects of nature though, the colors, the sounds, and the smells. He was home here in the forest. It was the only place he could he free. His older brother ran ahead, a steely resolve in his gaze. Never had he seen his brother so determined. Whoever this 'Rozalina' is she had better be careful. His brother, his family, and he were coming for her and they wouldn't leave until they had her.