Chapter 2

"I don't see how you always find a way to get hurt, Lina." Mama huffed, scuttling around the living room.  Upon arriving back to the cabin she found Ashley, Mike, and I sprawled out on the furniture. It looked as if she would explode seeing all of our injuries. Ashley was running around on the deck and slipped, that's why she had so many scratches and a dislocated shoulder. Mike had been fixing a leak on the roof when he fell off, resulting in a twisted ankle and broken wrist. I, being the clumsy thing I am, fell down the stairs breaking all of my ribs and and my left hip. She yelled at us for not calling and was now packing our stuff after rushing us to the hospital. I smiled and turned toward her.

"The same way your children got hurt."

"Ah ah. Don't you bring us into this." Mike called. He was draped over a leather recliner, a brace around both his right hand and wrist, and his ankle.

"Too late." Ashley's grave voice sounded from the love seat. Her left arm was in a sling and bandages covered most of her body, so much so it looked as if she were pulled from the Egyptian pyramids. I sighed and looked away, she was referring to the vampires, we all knew it, except for Mama of course.

"Alright let's go." Slowly pulling myself up from the couch I hobbled outside. Squinting against the harsh sunlight I hopped into the car and began the long car ride home.

Alexander's P.O.V.

"Something's coming."

"What do you mean, Alexander." Cameron turned to his old friend, his head tilted slightly to the side. I sighed looking out of the window. Rozalina had tended to the garden and the rose bushes she planted were bursting with blood red blooms. Now those blooms gleamed black in the soft moonlight.

"I can feel it in my bones, a storm is coming and when it hits nothing will be the same."

"You were always a sort of ominous poet weren't you?" Cameron chuckled quietly. I only nodded firmly and turned my back to the roses in the garden.

"Rozalina will be back in town soon, after what occurred I hope she won't harbor such hatred for me any longer."

"I'm sure she won't. Although I'm curious as to what happened to Vivian." Cameron's lip turned up at one corner. "I hope it was painful."

"Oh it was, I sent her whimpering with her tail tucked between her legs, along with that spineless brother of hers." I returned Cameron's wicked smile and recalled the look of unadulterated fear as I ripped the skin from her bones.

"You always were one for gruesome punishment." Cameron mused. He stayed for most of the until dawn was about to break. That nagging feeling that something wasn't right kept me awake for hours into the day.

***

"When do we leave sister? I'm becoming restless." The young man whined, his right leg bouncing under the long mahogany table.

"Not very much longer. I wish you would calm yourself, you know how brother's temper flares at your impatience."

"His temper flares no matter the circumstance." The man scoffed, drumming his fingers on the table. The woman across from him nodded and turned toward the lard window.

"A few more days and the hunt will begin. It should be easy enough to find her."

"Why are we even hunting this girl? This Rozalina?"

"Brother has not answered that question. He promises it will all be clear soon."

"You place too much fate in our dear brother."

"As I should, you should too. He is our leader."

"I should have been leader." The man huffed, throwing himself back against the seat.

"Shut your mouth. I will listen to your childish nonsense no longer." Pushing herself away from the table she rose and let her long legs carry her gracefully from the room. He let her go, the wind lifting her long coat. Alone in the moonlight room he sighed and pulled his own coat tighter around himself, whispering words of the ancient songs and listening to the wind that crept through the open window.