Chapter 3

"Remind me to thank Mrs. Smyth for feeding Dexter while we were away please." I looked at Mama. She nodded and put the laundry basket down. Dexter nudged my hand and I continued stroking him, like I had been doing for thirty minutes now.

"Don't get used to me doing your laundry missy. When you're all healed up its back to chores for you. " I laughed quietly and saw her softly smiling. "But that can wait. I'm sure my children are not happy that you're the only one that gets to stay home."

"I know they aren't. Ashley gave me a death glare as she got dressed this morning."

"Oh well." She shrugged and kissed my head. "Sleep child." I watched as she walked out.

"Shut the door." I called. She came back and pulled the door to the frame. "All the way." I heard the door click into place and sighed. I hate when someone doesn't shut my door all the way. Curling up I yawned and pulled the blankets tighter around my broken body. Dreaming is weird you know? You can do practically anything; jump off of a fifty story building, kiss a random stranger, or walk into your school naked (I hate that dream.) But here, in the never-ending swirl of madness that consumes your mind I find myself afraid and aware that I am in fact dreaming.

"Rozalina." I heard my name like a whisper carried in by the wind and turned as the emptiness turned into a room that was all too familiar. The room was pitch black but I've been in it so many times I know it by heart. The large dresser that holds crisp white shirts and out of style jackets and trousers all folded neatly. A stained glass window covered in thick black curtains to shroud out any ray of sunshine. The massive bed against the far wall with a matress so soft you could fall asleep on the spot. "Rozalina." The voice repeated and I knew who it was.

"Alexander." Out of the shadows his all too familiar figure appeared. He seemed more... more what I couldn't say just more. The sharp lines of his jaw and cheekbones were emphasized, the always hard line of his mouth softened and his hair looked to have purple strands. He reminded me of a raven, beautiful in an eerie sort of way. His too soft lips turned up at the corners.

"How wonderful, I would have ever thought it possible." He whispered stepping closer to me.

"What are you talking about?"

"Our minds are connected. We're sharing a dream."

"How is that even possible?"

"Its an ancient thing. Vampire stuff I suppose. You see, as you lay dying in my arms I did the only thing I knew would bring you back to me. You drank my blood and a sort of connection, bond if you will, formed between us."

"This isn't going to happen every time I sleep is it?" I gulped.

"Of course not. Only when we're thinking of each other at the same time."

"But I wasn't thinking of you..."

"Maybe not prominently but in some small corner of your mind you were." I glared and he smiled. "I see you're healing up nicely."

"I guess..." We fell into an awkward silence. Just as I was about to say something his image blurred.

"Well it's over. I'll see you soon Rozalina." With that I awoke to see Ashley standing over me with a stack of papers.

"Homework." I sighed and sat up.

"Will you do me a favor and get Mike for me? We need to talk."

"Uh oh... He's not going to like that." She said walking out of the room we shared. A few moments later he walked through the door, a worried look on his face.

"Hey Mike..."

"What is it Roze?" He sat on the edge of the bed and looked at me.

"You know I love you Mikey but I feel like being with you puts you in too much danger. I think we should go back to being friends. I just don't want you to get hurt anymore because of me." I couldn't look at him as I said it. We sat in silence for a while, neither of us speaking.

"I always knew you would break my heart Paley." I could hear the goofy smile in his voice. Raising from the bed he gave me a quick kiss on the forehead and walked out. This was the right thing to do, so why did I feel so bad?

***

"Calm yourselves, the time has come." A low growl erupted from the crowd gathered at the tall man's feet. His younger brother stood a little ways off, half hidden in shadow. The two men locked eyes as the the older man nodded. "Quiet!" He roared and watched as the people gathered slowly gave him their full attention. "We leave tonight. When we get there I will give you your orders. We will have the girl." A cheer rose from the crowd. "Now then, let us go and fulfil our duties!"  The tall man jumped off of the rock and ran into the mass of pine trees followed closely by the mass of people. The man who was half cloaked in shadow followed slower behind. His light footsteps kicking up small clouds of dirt. Growling he ran to catch up. His sister waited and ran beside him quietly, the only sounds were that of the wind in the trees and the howl that rose from somewhere deeper in that forest.