winter [fluff]

[a/n] i wanted to try smth new, this is placed in like 1885-1886 okay? okay 

prompt: its heavy winter, dream decides to walk over to georges home unannounced.

wordcount: 991

tw/cw - light homophobia 

Dream trudged through the snow with logs in hand. He cursed the distance between him and George as it was about a thirty minute walk, not to mention the snow slowing him down. 

He wished they wouldn't have to sneak around, he wished they could be together and share a home, where they could be happy. Of course that wasn't possible. They both knew how much two men dating each other was frowned upon--you could even be killed for it. As horrible and sad as it was, there was nothing they could do. 

But he didn't want to think about that now, he was just excited to see Georges face and smile. It'd been a bit since they'd been able to see each other and the only glimpse of George he'd gotten over the last week was the small photo he carried everywhere. It was a candid photo per se, one he'd managed to snap when he wasn't paying much attention. It was nearly perfect, he had a beautiful smile and all imaginable, the only thing wrong with it was that it was only a second before he had dropped a plate--which ended up shattering among contact with the floor. 

Dream brought himself out of his thoughts when he approached a cabin, basically in the middle of nowhere and nothing but large spruce trees. There were footprints--presumably Georges--already imprinted in the snow which Dream made sure to step in instead of creating more. 

He knocked on the door once and then twice, it was late and he didn't think of the possibility of George, a deep sleeper who rarely woke up to knocking, would be asleep. It wouldn't be the first time. If he was awake, he really hoped he'd wake up soon because he swore he could feel icicles forming on him. Just as he was about to knock again, the door swung open.

"Dream? What're you doing here? Its like midnight." George said, shaking his head in confusion. 

"Oh! I thought you might need wood." He held up the few logs he brought along, barely enough to keep a fire alive for over half an hour. He knew that's not why he visited, it was a pity excuse to cover the fact he was feeling lonely and in need of Georges voice. 

"I have firewood..?" Shaking his head once more, dismissing the obvious, he stepped out of the way as if inviting Dream inside, "Dream, you're such an idiot. Are you trying to catch a cold? You're beet red." He scoffed out, yet all Dream felt was endeared by his worrying. 

"Sit down, let me get you some soup and uh..blankets yeah."

Dream stayed quiet as he took off and hung his snow covered jacket on the rack. He sat down at the table with a smile split from ear to ear, simply watching as George approached him again.

"Here is a blanket, you need to warm up." He said, placing the sewed blanket around his shoulders. Dream felt him place the back of his hand on his forehead, as if he was expecting him to be warm after being outside in the dead winter for so long. 

"Hey, George, calm down." Dream laughed, taking hold of his wrist and gently tugging him closer. After placing a small peck of a kiss on his lips, he finally saw George smile. The other took a seat across from him and they only stared at each other for a minute.

Georges rubbed his temples, relaxing into the chair, "So, what brings you here so late? Y'know, besides the firewood." He gave a once over to the wood piled on the floor before directing his gaze back to Dream, making eye contact. Even though he wished Dream hadn't walked so far in the snow wearing nothing to protect him from the cold besides a thin jacket, he had to say he was however glad to see his face after a long day. Even if it was as red as a tomato.

"Just missed you I suppose, what have you been up to?" Dream said as he reached across the table, taking both of his lovers hands in his.

"Long day at the farm, had plenty of work to do around the stables n' what not."

Dream hummed in response. The presence was nice, with snow falling beautifully outside the one window, the moonlight shining through the window, and just being able to feel his boyfriends hands in his. He loved being able to hold him, even if it wasn't often he could. 

George swore lightly under his breath, pulling his hands from Dreams as he stood up. It caught Dream off guard until he remembered the food George was preparing. Neither him or George had a large attention span or good memory, so it made since that they'd get distracted, 

He immeditly went over to where the soup cooked, he'd hate to over cook it. Pulling out one bowl and spoon, he poured the soup in. He also stopped to rummage in a drawer, grabbing something before going back to Dream.  

"Careful, please, its hot. Also, I want you to take your temp just to be sure." He placed a small thermometer in front of him along with the soup, implying he wanted him to take his temperature first when he pushed the indicator closer when he hesitated.

"George," He started in a laughy voice, "I'm fine, I promise, now that you've cared for me and all, of course." 

"Sorry, just worried that's all.." He sighed, obviously stressed out. As he cupped his face, he got goosebumps. "Lord, you're freezing. Surprised you haven't turned blue yet." He joked, now pulling Dream in for a longer kiss. He was also the one to pull away first, "Now, eat up."