Chapter 2: Final Key (part 3)

Awkwardness was nowhere near a good enough word to describe the atmosphere the group held as they moved through the forest of Ombra, searching for the cottage

Awkwardness was nowhere near a good enough word to describe the atmosphere the group held as they moved through the forest of Ombra, searching for the cottage. Minsun and Xun led the way with Mark and Grace following, and the worst part was that neither of the siblings wanted to engage with one another. Xun couldn't tell if they were in a fight or simply didn't want to talk, both of them hiding their inner feelings.

Xun looked at the girl beside him, Minsun sporting a simple all black outfit, hair tied into a low ponytail. Even though he wore something similar, there was just something that made the colour so much more attractive on her.

You're falling, Xun knew it before the thought even entered his head. You're falling for her.

Xun opened his mouth, about to engage in conversation with Minsun when a voice from behind him filled their ears instead.

"Did you really need to do that?" Mark asked and Xun immediately closed his mouth, knowing that it was going to be a hard conversation. "Did you really need to talk to Jisun like that?"

"I don't see what the problem is." Grace replied, her voice sounding calm as if it was a regular conversation. This was an area where Minsun differed from her mother. With Minsun, Xun could always tell what was on her mind, but with Grace, it seemed impossible.

Maybe she learned that from eomma, Xun thought, thinking back to her own mother who was quite similar.

"The problem is that Jisun feels like you're taking Minsun away from us." Mark said before quickly covering his mouth once he remembered that Minsun was right there.

Minsun stiffened at the sound of her name, looking back as she stopped walking. "Huh?"

"Why don't we ask her then?" Grace suggested, the group silently deciding to resolve this issue before continuing. "Minsun, do you think that I'm taking you away from Mark and Jisun?"

Minsun seemed overwhelmed by the question as her mother stared into her eyes, breathing deeply. "No?"

"She's not letting you continue your crown princess duties." Mark informed the girl, mirroring his sister's form as he stared at Minsun. "She told Jisun that she won't allow it. Jihyung will be next in line for the throne."

Xun expected Minsun to be shocked and for her to plead Grace to allow her to regain her previous status. Instead, Minsun seemed like she had expected it, staring back at her mother. "Why?"

"You know why, both of you do." Grace said, walking through Minsun and Xun and lifting a hand. Xun watched as she looked like she was feeling for something. "We're here."

Xun didn't need to ask as the four of them stepped through the forcefield that protected the cottage, at least what it once was. Xun couldn't help but gasp as he saw the ruins, Minsun doing the same.