Chapter 14

The sound of the door closing sounds like thunder to my ears. Panic has chased away the high from my orgasm. As I stare at the closed door, it feels like the walls are closing in on me. My vision is tunnelling, and I'm gasping for breath as though my lungs can't pull in enough air. I can feel my heartbeat in my ears. Gripping the table to keep myself upright, I try to get control of my breathing. Trying hard to stamp down my rising panic and the bile that is burning the back of my throat.

I guess we both know now, don't we? Those are the words he threw back at me before leaving me here naked in the dark. It finally clicks and I understand what he meant. It was his response to me telling him he'd never know now if I'd have let him kiss me that night in the club. He'd even suggested I'd have let him do more than that. And I just proved him right.

What does he plan to do now? My mind immediately going to the worst-case scenario. Imagining him sending John up here to find me. That's what he wants, right? For John to know what he's done? The thought of John finding me naked on this table finally gets me moving. The first thing I do is remove my stupid high heels so I can work quickly. Locating my thong, I slip it back on before going to find my dress. Pulling it over my head and on in record time.

Opening the door with one hand and smoothing my hair down with the other, I peek my head out to check the coast is clear. The sting from the bright lights in the hallway takes a while to adjust to. When I'm confident that I'm alone up here, I grab my high heels and almost run towards the upstairs bathroom. Locking the door behind me and coming face to face with my reflection in the mirror. My flushed face, swollen lips and messy hair do nothing to hide the fact Barnes just fucked me senseless. It's written all over me.

Running to the toilet as bile rises in my throat again, I dry heave into the bowl, but nothing comes up. My hands shake as they grip the toilet seat. What the fuck have I done? And what is upsetting me more? That I just slept with Barnes or that he just walked out and left me there? I played right into his hands like a fucking fool.

John might come looking for me soon if I don't go back downstairs. Taking a deep, soothing breath in, I hold it for a few seconds before breathing out. Repeating that a few times until I feel my heartbeat slow down and my breathing return to something resembling normal. I stand up when my legs no longer feel like a shaking mess.

Sliding my dress up my thighs and pulling down my underwear, I sit on the toilet so I can clean myself up. Shame hitting me again when I realise I didn't even think of protection. Didn't think of anything but Barnes in that moment. Not that I'm worried about pregnancy. I've been on birth control for years. You don't bring children into marriages like mine. I've repeated enough of my mother's mistakes in my life. That won't be one of them. Still, having unprotected sex with a man who is practically a stranger isn't my smartest moment. Scratch that, having any kind of sex with anyone who isn't my husband isn't a smart move.

Checking my reflection in the mirror, I run my fingers through my hair until it looks somewhat more presentable. Once I'm satisfied I no longer look freshly fucked, I head out the door and down the stairs. Slipping my heels on when I reach the bottom, I look around for John. My eyes find him in the crowd, deep in conversation with Lemar. He's laughing loudly at something Lemar is saying, looking as though he's barely noticed my absence.

"Lexie!" I'm halfway across the room when Marty's voice calls out to me. Turning, I find him rushing towards me. He gives me a curious yet knowing look as he comes to a stop in front of me. "How was the tour? It must have been quite thrilling, because Sergeant Barnes looked rather dishevelled as he rushed out of here."

Marty winks at me when he says that last part. He knows. I know he knows. All the colour is draining from my face, I'm sure of it. Am I about to be sick right in the middle of his gallery? It sure feels like it.