Chapter 20 - She's Broken

Começar do início

"Christine?" I called from my intercom. "Arrange for a car to collect Miss Melissa Kingston and have her bought here, please. Without fail."

"Yes, Mr Queen."

Twenty minutes later, came a knock at my door as I stood up to open it.

"You had better have a good excuse for dragging out a pregnant woman to meet you," she glared as I nodded.

"I do, Miss Kingston, I do." I replied simply, pulling out a chair for her.

"What can I do for you?"

"It's about Scarlett."

"Scarlett? Why? What's the matter with her?"

"I don't know to be honest, I mean, she can barely look me in the eye these days. It's as though, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get through to her," I sighed. "That's where I thought you would come in handy."

"Charmed." She muttered before throwing her head back.

"What? What is it?" I asked nervously.

"I would never do this to Scarlett but I know how much she cares for you, hell probably even how much she loves you!" Melissa chuckled as I tried to mask my shock.

"I don't understand."

"Jasper, she's afraid."

"Afraid of what?"

"You!"

What the hell?

"Of me?" I yelled in disbelief as Melissa sighed.

"Jasper, she's never been a serious relationship like this in her whole life. All of them consistently ended after two or three weeks and do you want to know why?"

"Why?"

"Men, being the primitive species, you are, expected sex, Jasper. It's only natural, I suppose, but the point is, she couldn't give it to any one of them and, of course, each and every sorry bastard left her. Left her because they couldn't be bothered to help her love herself." Melissa said quietly. "She's disgusted with her body, Jasper. She's disgusted by the scars. But most of all, she's disgusted with herself."

"Fuck," I whispered in utter disbelief.

"Scarlett is the strongest and most independent woman I've ever met and am ever likely to meet, but she needs stability. She's so afraid of being abandoned by you, Jasper, and every time she brings herself to look at you, it shatters her because she knows there will never be anything more." She said sadly. "She's seen and been through too much, so, Jasper, if you know that this relationship is not going anywhere you need to decide now. I can't have her revert back to her former self."

"Thank you, Melissa," I said sincerely as she got up to leave.

"Just... Please don't hurt her, Jasper," she pleaded as she left.

"Luke? Get over here. You're in charge for two weeks." I spoke through my phone.

"Sure. May I ask why?"

"In due time," I dismissed, ending the call.

I grabbed my suit jacket and locked my office door behind me before making my way into the car.

"Home, Smith." I instructed him.

"Of course."

Twenty minutes later, I'd reached home, opening the front door gates.

"Scarlett?" I called out from the hallway.

"In here!" She replied from my bedroom.

"Hey, baby," I greeted, smiling as she sat upright on my huge bed, wearing my T-Shirt.