Chapter 19 - Break Down The Walls

Start from the beginning

Groaning, I desperately tried to think of something else before I drove myself insane.

***

A few weeks later, I arrived at work before Jasper as normal. It wasn't that I was ashamed of my relationship with Jasper, I just didn't want people to think I was earning any special favours just because I was dating him.

Several minutes later, as I was finishing up Jasper's schedule for the week, my phone started ringing.

Speak of the devil.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Good morning, Scarlett," he replied huskily.

"And why are we not at work today, Boss?"

"Is somebody missing me?" He teased, chuckling before sobering up. "Something came up. I'll be there in a short while."

Although I wanted to know what he was doing out of genuine interest, I opted out of prying as I didn't want to creep my boyfriend/boss out.

"Don't worry Miss Valentina, I'll be there quicker than you can moan my name," he snickered as I blushed.

"Jasper!"

"Scarlett!" He mimicked annoyingly.

"Goodbye, Mr Queen," I laughed, ending the call, before turning my attention to my laptop although emails and spreadsheets were the last thing on my mind.

Several minutes later, I had finally finished printing out the documents and proceeded towards Jasper's office to leave them on his desk.

Just as I had put them down, the door opened slowly with Jasper walking inside closing the door behind him.

"Eager, are we?" He teased, smirking.

God, he looked so incredibly sexy in his sharp Gucci suit with his effortlessly styled hair and sparkly green-blue eyes – how did I manage to get so lucky?

"Very," I retorted, rolling my eyes feeling the heat of his intense gaze.

"I hate it when you do that." He snapped irritably as I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"Do what?"

"You look away from me every time I look at you for more than five seconds, it pisses me off."

"I don't," I mumbled, fully aware that I was lying. In fact, I hated when he looked at me as every time he looked at me, it reminded me that we would never work out for more reasons than I had fingers to count them on.

"What is the matter with you?" He asked in frustration, running his hands through his hair.

"Noth-"

"Don't. Don't tell me 'nothing'." He interrupted, glaring at me. "You've been off for almost more than a week now, and I demand to know what the problem is."

"There is no problem," I murmured, adjusting his slightly wayward tie as he clasped his hands over mine.

"What is going on in that mind of yours?" He murmured, staring intensely as I forced myself to keep my gaze on his.

He lowered his lips slowly towards mine as he caressed the side of my face tenderly, sending my heartbeat racing.

"Mr Queen?" Came a muffled voice from outside as I jerked away from Jasper, moving towards a cabinet which was at the back of his office.

He cleared his throat before resuming his seat at his desk.

"Come in!" He bellowed deeply.

Whoever this was they were in trouble, because Jasper was pissed.

"Mr Queen, there is a client here to see you," Christine told him quickly. "He came by Scarlett's office but she wasn't there so -"

"It's fine." Jasper interrupted, stoically. "Send him in."

"Of course," she replied, closing the door behind her.

"I should go," I mumbled stupidly, my tears threatening to rush out as I tried not to let my emotions get the better of me.

"Scarlett -"

"I'll see you later." I cut him off, quickly racing out of his office.

I sat myself down on the seat in my office and cried. I hadn't cried like this since the first time my father shut out his emotions.

I didn't want to be like him.

I didn't want to be like her.

I didn't want to burden Jasper with my endless collection of baggage.

I didn't know what to do about it either.

I trusted Jasper more than anyone in the world and there was no denying we liked each other, perhaps me more than him, but we both definitely had feelings for each other so why couldn't I let him in?

Jasper was the most arrogant, insanely sexy, infuriating yet the most amazing, genuine man I had ever met and I couldn't be the one to give him what he wants.

This isn't fair on him, I thought boldly. He deserved to know everything and then he could decide where he wishes to stand in this relationship.

He deserved to know my fears, my daddy issues and the pain I so desperately wished I didn't have to feel.

Tonight, I was going to let him in.

G0Ϟ<