Chapter 18 - Take Two

Start from the beginning

"Thanks, Rob!" I squealed, waving him goodbye as he laughed.

Closing the door, I heard Melissa coming out of the shower.

"Who was at the door?"

"Rob, with the keys to my new car."

"You got a new car?"

"And a beauty he is," I stated proudly.

"And I thought it was all about boys and their toys," she smiled, before it began to falter.

"Right, off we go! You need to eat!" I announced, taking her hand as we got into the car.

Once we'd reached the Café, Melissa explained exactly what had happened last night.

"I woke up in the morning and he wasn't there. No note. No message. Half his shit gone and no trace of him anywhere," she said defeatedly, sighing.

I looked at her plate ensuring that she was eating properly; to my relief, she had finished the plate.

"This was all bought on because you wanted to keep the baby?" I questioned as she nodded. "Bastard."

"I phoned Mom and Dad just before I came to yours to tell them I was coming to stay with them but they don't have any idea why. I'm going to stay with them until the baby's born."

"Melissa, you're more than welcome to stay with me."

"It's okay, Scarlett, I need to be with them, they don't know the half of my life," she chuckled dryly before she perked up. "Say, I saw a suit jacket in your bedroom, who's been having late nights?"

"Melissa!" I groaned as she grinned widely.

"Tell me! I'm a pregnant soon to be single mother, I deserve to know!"

"It was Jas-"

"Oh, my god!" She interrupted loudly. "You had sex with Jasper?"

"No, Melissa. He stayed over," I sighed as I began to explain everything she missed over the past few days.

"God, I'm so sorry, Scarlett, I shouldn't have –"

"Melissa, it's okay, I think my boss and I dealt with him pretty damn well," I smirked as she looked at me sadly.

"I've been such a shit friend, Scarlett." She murmured. "After that whole Vincent thing happened, I wasn't there for you as much I should have been because I thought my bastard ex-boyfriend and his musical failure needed me more. And, now, with this perverted excuse of a man, I practically told you to fuck off."

"Well, not in so many words," I winked as she groaned. "I don't want you apologising again, Melissa. Your whole life is about to change and I think that's more important than worrying about who was or wasn't here for who."

"I know, but I'm still sorry and I'm still going to make it up to you," she told me adamantly as I gave her a small smile before glancing at my watch. Damn, it was four in the afternoon already. "Do you have somewhere to be?"

"Jasper's mom invited me for dinner but it's okay, I can go another time."

"No, Scarlett, it's fine, Mom's sending Jake to come pick me up." She informed me as her phone buzzed. "Speak of the devil. He's already here, we'd better get going."

I drove back to my place before hugging Melissa goodbye.

"I'll be round to see you in a couple of days, okay?"

"Thanks, Scarlett, I don't know what I'd do without you." she smiled as she got into her brother's car.

Once I had seen them off, I went inside and got dressed into my purple sun dress and slipped on a pair of purple pumps before running my fingers through my hair just as my phone rang.