Chapter 5 - Aftermath

Comenzar desde el principio

"Who are you?" A tall, leggy brunette stood at the door in what looked like just a silk robe.

Who the hell was she and what happened to Chloe?

"Jasper's secretary." I replied tightly, inviting myself in.

"Scarlett," Jasper said surprised. "I didn't expect you here this quickly."

"Of course, you didn't," I muttered noticing his eyes fixated on my legs. Suddenly I felt very exposed and decided that perhaps changing would have been the better idea. Ignoring his presence, I brushed past him and into his study.

"Jay, baby, let's go back to bed," the brunette's sensual voice purred to Jasper.

"Shut the fück up and go wait upstairs." I heard him snap at her before he joined me in his study where I was stood holding a folder labelled government legislation.

You see the narcissistic, douchebag personality shining through?

"Your documents, Mr Queen." I handed them over to him and proceeded to leave.

"Leaving?" He asked following me out.

"No, I think I'll join you and Miss Brunette upstairs, we can make it a threesome," I smiled sarcastically.

"Scarlett, you-"

"Goodbye, Mr Queen." I replied monotonously not giving him a chance to speak before bolting out of the door.

Noticing I'd left my purse at home, I realised I couldn't pay for a cab fare. I really did need to buy a car at some point, I just hadn't had the time.

Groaning aloud, I trudged slowly back to my apartment when my phone rang again.

"Yes, Mr Queen?" I answered tiredly.

"It's dark and you're not walking home alone. Smith will take you home."

"No thank you, I have somebody picking me up," I lied praying he couldn't see me.

"Miss Kingston?" he enquired nosily, referring to Melissa.

"No. Another friend."

"Vincent, I presume," he said rudely.

"Yes. Thank you anyway, Mr Queen. Goodbye."

Great, now I needed to call Vincent!

I should have called Melissa but something told me she was going to be busy all night.

"Scarlett?" Vincent answered through the phone.

"Hi. I'm really sorry to have to bother you like this, but you wouldn't mind picking me up from Dale Gardens, would you? If you're busy then-"

"Scarlett." He laughed. "Don't worry about it, I'll be there in ten minutes, see you then."

"Thank you so much, bye."

Well, Vincent was a man of his word, he was here in less than ten minutes as he parked up in front of me.

"Hey," he smiled cheekily.

"Hi, thank you so much for this Vincent, I hope I didn't disturb you."

"Disturb me? If anything, Scarlett, you saved me! My father was drunk off his ass once again ranting about how I'm ruining my brother's life and the rest of it," he muttered, his grip tightening on the steering wheel.

"Your father sounds horrible Vincent, you should pay no attention to him."

"Easier said than done, Scarlett," he replied sadly. "What were you doing here, anyway?"

"Mr Queen misplaced some documents so I came to find them for him."

"That sounds like typical Jasper," he said rolling his eyes. "Do you want to go catch a movie?"

"I'm not really dressed appropriately," I said shyly.

"I think you look beautiful. Gorgeous pair of legs you have there," he winked as I laughed.

"Come on then, let's watch Iron Man," I said as he nodded in agreement, I hadn't seen the third one yet.

"How lucky am I, two dates in one day – score!" he fist-pumped the air as I laughed at his idiotic behaviour.

It was strange how I easily agreed to accompany Vincent to the cinema. I couldn't remember the last time I'd gone out with a person of the opposite gender, but Vincent was exceptionally laid back and easy going, it was hard to deny him.

***

"That was a great movie," I commented as he drove me home.

"Not as great as the first, nothing beats the first," he asserted. "Do you want to join me for a drink at my place?"

"I'd love to but I have work tomorrow and Mr Queen is awfully snappish at the moment," I apologized

"Speaking of him, what happened after you came back from lunch? A friend of mine who works there was fired today," he asked.

"Samuel?"

"Yes, Samuel. What the hell happened?"

"If I'm honest I have no clue, he wasn't too happy about you coming in this afternoon either. Nor the fact that I went out to lunch."

"Does he know you went out with me?"

"Yes, why?"

"No reason. I hope you didn't get into too much trouble," he winced.

"Well, let's just say I no longer am entitled to a lunch break."

"Damn. What's crawled up his arsëhole and made home in there?" He muttered as I burst out laughing

"Thanks for the ride and the movie, it was great," I smiled at him before opening the car door.

"No problem, see you later, Scarlett," he grinned as I shut the door behind me and unlocked the door to my apartment, waving him one last goodbye before closing the door and kicking off my shoes.

Checking the time, I saw that it was twelve o' clock; work started in six hours - fantastic.

I would probably have to be there for five to avoid Jasper.