Chapter 4 - You're Fired

Start from the beginning

"Of course. I'll just let him know you're here. Your name is?"

"Chloe."

"Mr Queen." I spoke through the intercom. "You have a visitor. Chloe?"

"Send her through and clear out my schedule for today. I want no disturbances." He said gruffly as Chloe strutted out of the office swinging her hips.

I felt an overwhelming urge to walk into my boss's office and smack him senseless, he was incompetent, insolent and downright rude.

As I attempted to busy myself once more, ten minutes later, a delivery arrived for Jasper which was apparently so urgent he had to receive it now. Sighing heavily, I trudged to his office with the parcel in tow. Just as I was about to knocked, I stopped in my tracks. All I could hear was moaning and grunting from inside as my anger rose considerably.

The asshole has a job to perform yet this is how he uses his time?

I blew out a long breath and knocked loudly on the office door.

"Mr Queen, I have an urgent delivery which must be signed off by you." I said sternly from outside.

"For fuck's sake, I told you I didn't want any disturbances!" He snapped from inside before opening his door a few minutes later. His tie was undone as were a few his shirt buttons, his hair was unruly and there were lipstick stains across his sculpted jaw.

Way to make it any less obvious, I thought sarcastically.

"Well then, perhaps you should have requested this package to be delivered at a time tailored to your very busy schedule Mr Queen," I said raising an eyebrow.

"I pay you to do your job, not run your smart mouth about." He snapped loudly.

"And I work for you not expecting to be insulted at every turn. We can't get everything we want in life Mr Queen, even if some of us are filthy rich." I shoved the package in front of his face as he snatched it out of my hands before slamming the door shut.

I wasn't sure how long I was going to be able to put up with his irrational moods, I was seriously beginning to get really pissed off with him.

I stalked back to my office where on my chair sat Vincent, holding a bunch of red tulips in front of him.

"Hi." I smiled as he stood up.

"Hey." He smiled back as he handed me the tulips. "I hope you like them."

I hated tulips.

"They're lovely. Just let me put them into some water and we'll get going."

"Sure. Nice office you've got here Scarlett, this place isn't how I remember it."

"Familiar with the office?"

"Yes, Jasper's sister and I used to hang out in here."

"He never mentioned..." I said trailing off.

"He never mixes private with personal Scarlett, never has and never will. Anyway, shall we?" He smiled offering me his arm.

"Where are we going?"

"Ah, now that would be telling!" He teased as we left the building.

"Wherever it is, we'd best hurry, I've got to be back in forty-five minutes."

"Typical Jasper," he said bitterly as I looked at him in confusion. "You look absolutely beautiful Scarlett."

"You don't look too bad yourself mister," I grinned at him.

"Tell me something I don't know," he said cockily

"Ever the modest aren't we Mr Haynes?"

"That's my middle name! Actually, it's David." He said rolling his eyes as I laughed at him. "Ta-da!" He exclaimed suddenly, pointing to the lavish new restaurant in front of us.

"Wow, it looks lovely," I smiled as we got out of his car and headed inside.

"I called ahead and made a reservation, I hope this is okay."

"Yes, it's perfect."

He grinned as he confirmed our reservation before we were seated.

"You look like you're having an awful day today, Scarlett," he said raising an eyebrow.

"There's just a lot to do I suppose," I shrugged nonchalantly. I may have been incredibly annoyed with my ass of a boss, but I always remained professional and would only bitch about him to Melissa.

"As long as you're okay, I reckon you should just chill out for a day, forget the office. Just relax, do something spontaneous!"

"I'm not that kind of person if I'm being honest," I said while eyeing the menu.

"You've got to learn to go with the flow Scarlett! Life's an adventure not a warzone," he said as he signalled for a waitress.

"Oh, you'd be surprised," I remarked dryly before allowing the waitress to take my order.

***

Lunch went by fairly smoothly, Vincent was still trying to convince me to rebel against life but ended up giving up like everyone usually did with me.

"Thanks for lunch," I told him getting out of the car.

"Sure you don't want me to walk you in?"

"No thank you, it's fine, see you later." I smiled as I walked into the building.

"Scarlett, where the hell were you?" Christine asked as I walked past the reception.

"I went out to lunch Christine, what's going on?"

"Jasper was looking for you and he is pissed off, he just fired Samuel for Christ's sake!"

"What?" I asked in shock.

Jasper might be one difficult person to work with but had he really fired a valued member of the company?

"A simple 'you're fired' and that was that. What the hell?" She muttered, shaking her head.

"Oh, God." I mumbled before turning on my heel. "I'll see you later."

The walk to my office never felt so long.

I really was not sure what had gotten into Jasper recently. I hung my coat up and put away my handbag before I turned to see Jasper storming in.

"Decided to come back to work did you then, Scarlett?" He snapped as he slammed the door shut behind him.

"I am entitled to a lunch break, Mr Queen," I replied coolly though my heart was thumping loudly in my chest.

"Who told you, you could invite fucking Vincent into my building?"

"He came to drive me to lunch, Mr Queen, I didn't invite him," I said through gritted teeth

"Oh, so now he's your boyfriend, is that it?"

"Again, none of your business. I will no longer leave for lunch nor have any visitors see me in your office." I said curtly as I walked out of the office.

"Glad to hear it," he snapped as I continued to walk down to his office to pick up some papers from, opening the door to see a half-naked Chloe sprawled out suggestively on his desk.

Shit! I cussed in my head as she squealed.

Jasper quickly came up beside me, cringing visibly as he rushed into the office.

I decided the papers could wait, so turning around I made a beeline for reception, I needed Christine to double check the appointments made for Jasper anyway.

"Is everything okay?" Christine frowned. "What has gotten into him today?"

"God only knows, Christine."

"Are you okay?" She asked warmly as I nodded. "As long are you're sure, Scarlett."

Of course, I'm sure. I've always been sure.