19. Accidental Loss Of Control

Start from the beginning

But she was so focused on Jasper out of force of habit that she completely forgot about Dean and him being a newborn. He lunged at Bella, completely out of control. He wasn't thinking, hell, he wasn't even Dean at that moment, he was a blood-seeking predator. Jasper disappeared, vamp speeding out of the house as everyone else went to grab Dean, he was helping them by not helping the newborn rip Bella apart.

"Dean!" Lizzie shouted as Edward knocked Bella out of the way and Emmett and Carlisle gripped his shoulders. He went to push them off and leap forward, but quickly Lizzie appeared in front of him, her hands going to his face. "Shhhh! Shhhh! Dean, it's okay, it's okay," he calmed almost instantly from her touch, he was still overwhelmed with hunger but he now had enough self-control not to want to eat his own cousin.

Everyone's gaze snapped from Dean and Lizzie to Bella. She was lying on the floor covered in blood. Her arm was cut open from where Edward had accidentally flung her into the wall making glass shards from a vase embed themselves into her skin.

"Elizabeth, can you clean this up while I tend to Bella?" Carlisle asked.

"Of course, Dad." Having never tasted human blood in her life, she had the same extreme self-control as her father did.

                                                               ✦✦✦

"We have to leave," Edward announced as soon as he was back from dropping Bella off at home.

"What?!" Lizzie spun around on the spot her eyes wide.

"Edward's right," Rosalie agreed. "After tonight, it's clear Bella isn't helping this family."

"It was one accident, Rose. He's a newborn, come on."

Dean wasn't there at the moment, having left for the woods after the accident, and still, he wasn't back yet. Everyone knew he felt guilty, most of all Jasper, who could actually feel just how much.

"Maybe we should think about this first and talk it through," Esme offered from her spot on the piano seat.

"We need to leave," Edward stressed.

"No!" Lizzie refused. "We can't just up and leave because of a small accident with Bella."

"It was more than a small accident and you know that. Besides, Carlisle is supposed to be ten years older than he looks. People are starting to notice, Zee."

"That's complete crap, Edward. No one's noticing anything about any of us, least of all, Dad. It's about you and Bells and that's not fair on the rest of us." She raked her hands through her hair in frustration.

No one except Jasper and her parents knew why it was so important for Lizzie to stay, but before her mind could dwell on it she blocked Edward out of her thoughts. Jasper stood from the couch and appeared by her side, his hand taking hers as he sent her a wave of calm and instantly Lizzie's shoulders slumped in defeat.

"We do this all the time, Lizzie. I know it still gets to you, but it was bound to happen sooner or later it always does. Does it matter if it's now?" Edward asked.

"Yes, I have people here too, Edward, not just you. What am I supposed to do about them? About Sammy?"

Rosalie frowned in sympathy as she walked over to her sister and hugged her. "He'll be out of school soon enough and then he'll come and stay with us permanently, by then, Dean will be under control. Aww, babe, and for the record, this is why I never wanted you to get attached to the humans at our school. I know it's hard to leave the friends you've made behind but it does get easier as time goes on. It'll be okay."