"Adrianna.... Left an hour ago. The chamber is only ten minutes away."

The darkness I delved in, shrunk as if. It felt like I was confined in a small cluster of chaotic nothingness.

"Ares don't panic," His voice was shaking, "I will call the guards. Give me a moment. They are with her."

"Miller, where is Adrianna?"

"What do you mean?!"

"Didn't I ask ALL of you to keep a close eye on her?!"

The phone cut, leaving an eerie silence behind.

"There were two guards with her, one of them was drugged and another was beaten."

Coldness seeped inside my vein as I felt my fingers numbing.

Adrianna... Adrianna was in danger and I couldn't do anything.

It was all my fault.

I couldn't protect her.

I ran a hand down my face, my eyes stinging. Although they didn't have any light, they could cry.

I couldn't protect her.

"Contact Detective Jonas."

"On-" He paused mid sentence, "Your phone-"

His warm hand brushed mine as he took the daintily held object from me and tapped through it.

I was crumbling, crumbling to pieces like shattered glass.

Adrianna was suffering.

Fury pumped through my vein as I tried to hold onto my stick and stand up, my legs didn't permit me.

"There's a message," His voice was nothing but a whisper, "From an unknown number."

My heart jumped to my throat, "Read."

"I know you are good at playing games, Ares. I pride myself to be a somewhat better player than you. Trace this number and you will find her. She is all yours, but not before playing a small game with me. It remains long unfinished-" Archer's voice trembled as he paused.

So it was for me. Not her.

She was abducted because of me.

My head became heavier as I gripped the stick even tighter, the darkness I had come to rule suddenly protesting against me.

Raging blood danced in my veins as I felt my body throb from the sudden lust of vengeance awakened by this unknown stranger who claimed to be a player of fates.

Whoever this person was, had an unfinished business with me. Dragging Adrianna between us might have been their biggest mistake.

I smirked, the bloodthirsty demon inside me rearing its head.

I was going to bathe the city in their blood and relish in their screams.

"Th-there's this image attached to it..."

"Open it," I was calm. Suddenly, I could think clearer.

"It's a... calligraphy?"

I frowned, "What?"

"It says, 'Memento Mori.'"

The sound of my walking stick snapping in half resonated through the manor. I breathed heavily, pain blossomed in my palm.

Whoever this bastard was, I was going to rip their heart out and feed them to the wolves.

Adrianna was the small spark of light that came into my life like a blessing. There was no way in hell I was going to let her go.

Like I said, I was no sinner but would kill for her.

"Wh-What does it mean?"

My jaw clenched, "It's Latin."

The sound of our heavy breathing resonated through the mansion.

"It says, 'Remember you will die.'"

Sorry for the short chapter and also the late update. I had a serious fever due to the second dose of vaccine. My arm feels like it's about to fall off

(╥﹏╥)

What do you think of this chapter?

Please let me know!

If you're on Tiktok you can check me out @ssybahz_! I put reels every now and then! Also tag me if any of you ever make a video on this book!