"Yes."

"Redialing 'Adrianna'."

I shifted in my seat, agitation crawling inside me like small insects.

"Call declined."

I let out an irritated grunt. Seriously, what was she doing?

I repeated the process thrice, every time the call was passed to the voicemail.

The agitation turned into irritation, irritation morphing into anger.

Letting out another grunt, I commanded the bot to make a call to Archer.

He picked up on the third ring.

"Hey bro-"

"Where is Adrianna? Is she with you?" I blurted out before he could finish his sentence.

"Uh-" He made a sound that sounded awfully like a snort, "Adrianna is not with me."

"Where is she? At the manor?"

"No she isn't at the manor," He let out a sigh, "Bro I need to tell you something. Promise you won't get mad at me?"

Silence pertained between us, my boiling anger calming to a numbing saturation. I felt cold, cold as a stone.

"I offered Adrianna a small help."

Considering how he muttered 'small help', it was either related to her condition or her financial situation.

A breath escaped me as my heart thudded frantically against my ribcage as I felt my muscles tense under my stuffy clothes.

"You did what?"

"Now-"

"Did you ask for my permission? On which ground did you help her Archer?"

The silence pricked my skin.

"Answer god damnit!" I barked into the phone, anger burning my veins, "Who asked you?!"

"Can I not help my friend?"

His voice was grave, a coldness that matched mine. I clenched my jaw, my grip tightening around the phone.

"What angers you Ares?" His voice was solemn as he queried, "The fact I helped Adrianna when she needed it the most? Or the fact it was I who helped her?"

I paused for a second, a cold shiver running down me.

Did he... know?

It couldn't be good.

"Whatever do you mean?" I answered, trying to keep my voice even.

"Don't pretend to be clueless, brother," He spat out, "You know exactly what I mean. Playing dumb doesn't suit you."

Both of our breathing heavy on the phone, the distance seemed to be of a hairbreadth as he exhaled.

"I don't like the fact that it is you who helped her."

"See it wasn't that difficult to admit now was it?" His voice was edgy, raucous, "Too bad, I did it anyway. She needed help and I provided it to her. What's the fucking problem?"

"I wanted to do it myself," My throat burned as the confession left my lips in a slow whisper.

A veil of silence fell between us, the distance growing greater.

"Why?"

"Because..." I gritted my teeth, my fists clenching, "Because she is assigned to me."