eighteen

"okay, and this is your new room." my dad told me as he wheeled me into what was his office. they'd spent the last week rearranging the house, making it more accessible for me and my new wheelchair. they'd switched my room to the first floor so i didn't have to go up and down the stairs at all. they'd also bought a nice recliner for the room, so someone could be with me all night, every night.

i smiled, looking at him.

"thanks, dad." i said.

"what do you want to do first?" he asked, squatting down next to me. "you want some food?"

"actually, rafe is going to come over soon, after he gets a shower." i explained. "he's taking me out."

"okay," he nodded. "you want to get changed into something else?"

"actually," i looked over, seeing my mom in the doorway. "you want to help me shower?"

she smiled, "i'd be honored to help my baby girl shower."

"alright, i'm going to sort the meds." my dad nodded and stood, walking out. my mom went over to my closet, pulling it open.

"what do you want to wear?"

"that blue dress." i pointed. "i like that dress."

"it's beautiful." she pulled it out, along with some underwear and a bra. she grabbed my bathroom bag from the hospital and pushed me into the bathroom. she held me shower, washing my hair and helping me shave my legs and underarms, washing my body.

i dried myself off and she helped me get dressed. i brushed my teeth and she brushed through my hair, being careful not to touch the underside of the back of my head. she let it fall over my shoulders.

"we're going to have to leave it wet, is that okay?" she asked, looking at me through the mirror.

"yeah, it's fine." i nodded. she moved me out to the living room where my dad was now watching some tv.

"what are you watching?"

"bar rescue," he said. "this shit is crazy."

i smiled, seeing his amused face as he watched the people scream at each other on the screen.

"knock knock!" i heard rafe's voice. i looked over my shoulder, seeing him. "i've arrived."

"hey," i laughed as he came over, standing behind me and kissing the top of my head. "you ready?"

"yeah," i told him.

"and here we go." he grabbed the wheelchair, pushing me out before my parents could say anything. he got me up in his truck, putting the chair in the backseat. he climbed in and drove off. i rolled the window down, placing my hands across it, leaning my head on it. the window pushed through my hair and against my face as i smiled, enjoying it all.

the drive to the club was short, but nice. rafe helped me out, letting my shoes his the concrete as he held my waist.

"you want to walk or you want the chair?" he asked, looking at me.

"i think i'm okay to walk." i nodded.

i looped my arm with his as we walked slowly up to the hostess, getting an outside table. she got us a table and as we followed her, past everyone else, they all watched me.

"you okay?" he asked, whispering.

"yeah," i shrugged. "they're just curious."

we got to the table and he helped me into the chair before sitting next to me. i looked over the menu, even though i wasn't at all hungry, but i promised i'd start trying to eat, so i settled on a fruit salad and a water.