Chapter 16 | Suppressant

Start from the beginning

"Each day I'm growing more and more impressed. In a week, Her Highness has mastered spells that may take more than that to learn," the Elder said and a fire of amusement lit in his intense eyes. A pondering look was in place of his usual barren expression. "As if your body recognizes its newfound strength like the back of its hand."

The smooth sailing of chilly air rippled as it was drawn toward the center of the greenhouse's ruins. The air gathered and swirled in a frenzy around the Elder's hand. Soon, it started to twist, bending in the wielder's desired form. It elongated. The base winded around his right hand and crawled to the ground like a vine.

A thick, slender whip formed in the hands of the Elder. And he swished it down without warning, in a downward motion, to Anneliese, who manifested her quick reflexes by dodging to her left. She rolled down the gritty floor, but the Elder pulled the whip back, willing his weapon into his desire, and sliced down once again, the whip following the path of his aim.

Emir half-expected Anneliese to evade the attack, but she pushed her hands on the floor, jumping hard to put her back on her feet. Then she pressed her palms together in front of her chest. Mumbling a muffled word, a glowing half-spherical barrier appeared, catching the air whip's attack. The contact sent a ripple of airwaves and the trees almost had their leaves torn off. The whip bounced off and not a tiny dent was inflicted at Anneliese's moonlight shield.

Anneliese clasped her mouth, muffling her surprised gasp. Her pale lilac eyes shone like gemstones under the moonlit sky. A slow smile crept past her ghostly-pale skin. And the most unexpected, she broke into a squeal and jumped as if she had the need to release her excitement, or else she would burst out of joy.

Emir never knew that a smile could be so contagious when he found his lips matching hers.

A heavy thump from a higher branch caused the leaves to rain down like falling emerald jewels.

"Uh-oh. Someone's falling."

Emir's smile vanished, replaced by an impassive face. "Have you gotten what I asked for?" he asked without looking up at Maxwell.

"Fat chance. You aren't getting away with it, buddy. So, humor me with your answer," Maxwell teased. There was a smooth rustle of something unfurling. Emir spun around, and his face was merely an inch away from Maxwell's so he quickly had to scoot away.

Maxwell's wings were sprawled open behind his back, and his brown mop of hair turned a shade darker amidst the night. "Why do you look like a lovesick puppy staring at the princess?"

The prince scowled and pushed Maxwell away, causing him to roll over and slip off the branch.

Maxwell laughed his ass off, watching the prince struggle to pull himself back to the branch.

"Get close to me like that again and you'll get what you're asking for."

"Man, I like you too." Maxwell offered a lopsided grin.

"Ass."

The prince returned his gaze to Anneliese and the Elder who didn't seem to notice their little commotion. Anneliese was now putting on the offense, sending bright beams of light which left a soot mark on the ground where the Elder used to be. He effortlessly glided with the wind, never touching the ground. Anneliese was no match but her speed and effort were remarkable.

Maxwell whistled. "So that's the legendary moon magic. Flashy, yes. Splendid. But I still can't imagine how powerful it is. It's just sparkly and all, but it's not as impactful as fire, earth, or any existing elemental magic. But she's good." He bobbed his head in approval, his arms crossed over his chest. "She wasn't that good before."