Chapter 24

☆☆☆

A couple of weeks had passed and sex got better every time we did it. I had a feeling Harry was still holding back quite a bit but I didn't mind. Sometimes I wondered if maybe he needed the gentle lovemaking as much as I did after all the stress he went through with the Bratva.

Lovemaking? No matter how much I tried to ignore my feelings, I knew I loved Harry. Maybe it was natural to fall in love with the person you were married to, the person you shared intimacy with. I wasn't sure why I had fallen for Harry despite my best intentions before our marriage not to let him into my heart, I only knew that I had. I knew what men like Harry thought of love. I hadn't told him about my feelings, even though a few times the words had been on the tip of my tongue after we'd lain in each other's arms, sweaty and sated after sex. I knew Harry wouldn't say it back and I didn't want to make myself vulnerable like that.

I watched the sun set over New York from my position in the lounge chair on the roof terrace. Romero was inside, reading a sports magazine on the sofa. A few times I'd considered asking Harry to stop Romero's constant presence. Nothing could happen to me in our penthouse but then I couldn't go through with it. I would have felt more alone without Romero in the apartment, even if we didn't talk all that much. Marianna only came in around lunch time to clean and prepare lunch and dinner, and Harry was gone most days. I still hadn't met any of the women from the Famiglia for coffee. After Cosima's betrayal I really wasn't keen on meeting more of Harry's family anyway.

My phone vibrated on the small table. I snatched it up, seeing Gianna's name flash on the screen. Happiness burst in my chest. We had only talked this morning, but it wasn't unusual for my sister to call more than once per day and I didn't mind.

The moment I heard her voice, I sat up, my heart pounding in my chest like crazy.

"Aria." She whispered, her voice thick with tears.

"Gianna, what happened? What's going on? Are you hurt?"

"Father's giving me to Alex."

I didn't understand, couldn't. "What do you mean he's giving you to Alex?" My voice shook and tears already burnt in my eyes as I listened to Gianna's heart-wrenching sobs.

"Salvatore Styles spoke to Father and told him that Alex wanted to marry me. And Father agreed!"

I couldn't breathe. I'd worried that Alex wouldn't let Gianna get away with her rudeness toward him. He was a man who didn't like to be refused, but how could Father have agreed? "Did Father say why? I don't understand. I'm already in New York. He didn't need to marry you off to the Famiglia too."

I stood, couldn't sit still anymore. I started pacing the roof, trying to calm my racing pulse with low breaths.

"I don't know why. Maybe Father wants to punish me for saying what I think. He knows how much I despise our men, and how much I hate Alex. He wants to see me suffer."

I wanted to disagree but I wasn't sure Gianna was wrong. Father thought women needed to be put in their place and what better way to do that with Gianna than bind her to a man like Alex. Behind his grins lurked something dark and angry, and I had a feeling Gianna wouldn't have the sense not to provoke him until he lost it.

"Oh, Gianna. I'm so sorry. Maybe I can tell Harry and he can change Alex's mind."

"Aria, don't be naïve. Harry knew all along. He's Alex's brother and the future Capo. Something like that isn't decided without him being involved."

I knew she was right, but I didn't want to accept it. Why hadn't Harry told me about this? "When did they make the decision?"

"A few weeks ago, even before I came to visit."