Chapter 7

☆☆☆

I stared at my reflection.

The dress was gorgeous. The chapel train fanned out behind me, the platinum embroidery glittering wherever the sunlight hit it, and the empire waist was accentuated by a white satin ribbon.

"I love the sweetheart neckline. It gives you a breathtaking cleavage." Aunt Livia gushed. She was Valentina's mother.

"Harry will surely appreciate it." Aunt Ornatella said.

Something on my face must have made my mother realize I was close to having a nervous breakdown, so she ushered my aunts out. "Let the three girls have a moment."

Gianna stepped into view beside me. Her red hair contrasted beautifully with the mint dress. She opened the box with the necklace. Diamonds and pearls surrounded by intricate white gold threads.

"Harry doesn't spare any costs, does he?" She sneered. "That necklace and your headpiece probably cost more than most people pay for their house."

The conversation and laughter of the gathered guests carried up from the gardens through the open window into the room. Every now and then a clunk could be heard.

"What's that noise?" I asked, trying to distract myself.

Gianna walked over to the window and peered out. "The men are taking off their guns and putting them into plastic boxes."

"How many?"

Gianna cocked an eyebrow.

"How many guns does each man put away?"

"One." She frowned, then it dawned on her, and I nodded grimly. "Only a fool would leave the house with less than two guns."

"Then why the show?"

"It's symbolic." I said. Like this horrid wedding.

"But if they all want peace, why not attend unarmed? It's a wedding, after all."

"There have been red weddings before. I saw pictures from a wedding where you couldn't tell the color of the bride's dress anymore. It was soaked in blood."

Lily shuddered. "That won't happen today, right?" Anything was possible.

"No, Chicago and New York need each other too much. They can't risk spilling blood among each other as long as the Bratva and the Taiwanese pose a threat."

Gianna snorted. "Oh great, that's comforting."

"It is." I said firmly. "At least we know nobody will come to harm today." Except for me, maybe. Probably.

My stomach twisted into a knot. 

Gianna wrapped her arms around me from behind and rested her chin on my bare shoulder. "We could still run. We could get you out of your dress and sneak out. They're all busy. Nobody would notice." Harry would notice.

Lily nodded her head vigorously and got up from where she'd perched on the bed.

I forced a brave smile. "No. It's too late."

"It's not." Gianna hissed. "Don't give up."

"There would be blood on my hands if I broke the agreement. They would kill each other in retribution."

"They all have blood on their hands. Every single fucking person in the garden."

"Don't curse."

"Really? A lady doesn't curse." Gianna mimicked our Father's voice. "Where did it get you to behave like an obedient little lady?"

I looked away. She was right. It had brought me straight into the arms of one of the deadliest men in the country.