✯ 𝐨𝐧𝐞 ✯

ابدأ من البداية

"But you're already 11." Daisy tentatively questioned, wincing as the old car hit another bump on the poorly fashioned road. 

"Yes, but the term doesn't start until the 1st of September. And I'll get a letter in July! So in 1 month!" Mackenzie smiled brightly. 

The younger blonde frowned. "But I'll be alone here for 2 years after you leave."

"You'll be fine. I'm sure this place isn't as bad as it seems. We shouldn't judge a book by its cover."

Daisy said nothing, not wanting to reveal the real reason she didn't want to be left alone. For as long as she could remember, she had felt a sharp edge in her heart, a sliver of herself that was dark. She could feel it tremendously in moments where she felt anger or pain, a growing wickedness that urged her to do terrible things. 

And so, the young girl covered and smothered this smudge on her soul with excessive cheerfulness, constantly having a blanket of positivity wrapped around everything she said and did. 

"We're here," the woman in the front seat snapped, her sharp accent sounding harsher in the resemblance of their surroundings. "Time to get out."

The sisters stepped out of the car quietly and gathered their things, and then were herded to the front door of the drab, grey building. A tall and spindly elder woman was already waiting for them on the steps leading to the large doorway. 

"Welcome to Wool's Orphanage, you may call me Ms. Cole," the apparent housekeeper introduced, sweeping them inside with her long arms. 

"I'm Mackenzie, and this is my baby sister Daisy," Mackenzie announced while Daisy grimaced. 

She wasn't a baby!

While her older sister and Ms. Cole started speaking, she zoned out and surveyed the dull atmosphere within the large building. In contrast to their old house, there were no rich colourful carpets here, or any plush furniture. Instead, cold hardwood floors and bony-looking chairs in various random positions. 

"Daisy, are you listening?" her sister's agitated voice broke my train of thoughts, and she snapped back to attention. 

Rolling her eyes, she filled me Daisy on what had been said, including when meal times were, when bed time was, the no bullying policy. 

Before she knew it, she was settled into her hard bed, with her sister in the bed next to hers, hugging a teddy bear as she stared at the ceiling. It was cold, and Daisy had asked for extra blankets, but Ms. Cole made it very clear that she would not show any preferential treatment for anyone 

"I thought orphanages are supposed to be fun and nice," she spoke into the silence, her unmeasured voice louder than one would like. "It's supposed to be for kids who have just had something terrible happen to them. I would never make an orphanage like this."

"Well Daisy, this is the real world," the older girl snapped, turning away from her. "Not everyone is nice like in those stupid fairytales you read."

The younger blonde flinched, tears filling in her eyes. She said nothing in response though, chalking up Mackenzie's foul attitude to the same reason as hers, even as she remained positive on the outside. 

But the truth was, they were all alone now. 

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

A week had passed, and Daisy was certain that 9-year-olds were not supposed to feel as depressed as she did now. Every day was the same: eating tasteless breakfast, being stuck in consuming all-day lessons, eating an even worse dinner, and being sent to bed. The only exception was the weekends, where the children could go out around the town.