Hope

"you thought you were going to win, huh?". the older male laughed before throwing a knife and making it land right into Beomgyu's chest. the brunette let out a loud cry and fell to the floor. "Gyu...? Beomgyu..!".

he quickly sat up with a deep gasp and looked around himself with wide eyes. a bedroom. he then turned to his left and saw Huening Kai with a worried expression on his face. the younger male then sat on the bed and pulled Beomgyu into a hug.

"nightmare?". Beomgyu nodded into Kai's chest and let a tear fall from his eye. if you're wondering why and how Huening Kai is in the Capitol, here's why..

a few months after the games had ended and Beomgyu won, there was a sudden attack on all of the districts sending them burning to the ground. some people managed to run to safety but many people were lost to the fires. survivors ran in all directions, some of them making it to the Capitol.

Kai was in the group that made it to the Capitol and Beomgyu convinced President Snow to let the younger stay in the mansion with them. it has been some months since the incident and nobody knows who planned the attacks, nor where half of the survivors ended up.

the districts were no more, meaning the hunger games had to be paused until they got the system back together.

Beomgyu looked over at the clock and saw that it was 6:00am. he then pulled out of Kai's hug and ruffled his friends hair. "you should go back to your room, Kai. i'll go on a walk". Huening Kai was still worried but he knew Beomgyu would be okay, especially after staying in the same mansion for a whole year.

the two boys then split up as they reached the door and Beomgyu decided to make his way towards the kitchen. on his way there, he had to pass the meeting room. he could always see people walking in and out of said room, but was told to never enter it.

as he walked past the door, he could see that it was slightly open and that a couple of voices could be heard. he knew it wouldn't be a good decision but he decided to listen in on the voices. he hated not knowing what was going on around the Capitol since President Snow never let him out.

"they're going to attack us any minute sir, and they have him with them". have who with them? Beomgyu thought. "they managed to save Kang Taehyun and a few others from last years games. they took this past year healing up the tributes and training them even harder"

Beomgyu's eyes widened and he leaned even closer to the door. Taehyun was alive? "from what i've been told, Taehyun is leading the group. they're going to try and over rule the Capitol". then another voice chimed in, which Beomgyu recognised as President Snow.

"what do you think their goal is?". the first voice then spoke again. "to get Beomgyu". the brunette took this moment to peer through the small gap in the door, his heart stopping when he saw the anger expression on President Snow's face.

"we can't let them get to him. take the boy away and do not under any circumstances tell him why you're taking him away"

 take the boy away and do not under any circumstances tell him why you're taking him away"

"i'm sorry.."

"why are you sorry?"

"because i know you wanted to go first"

many tears fell from the brunettes eyes.

"Taehyun!". the blonde quickly paused the video he was watching and looked over at the door. "hey, Soobin". the two males softly smiled at each other. the older of the two fully walked into the room and frowned when he saw the paused screen.

"you really need to stop watching that video. if anything, Beomgyu is more sad than you, he still thinks you're dead". Taehyun closed off the screen of the tablet and placed it onto the table in front of him with a sigh. "it just hurts, you know, seeing the love of your life crying over your dying body".

Soobin sat up and rolled his eyes playfully. "hey! at least you're not dead! many of us could've been dead yet the corporation saved us, you should be thankful Beomgyu didn't die to that other tribute". Taehyun quickly frowned before looking down at his feet.

"i couldn't even watch when he won the games, i was in a coma". Soobin then wrapped an arm around the blonde's shoulder and stood them both up before walking towards the exit of the room. "he kept your promise, didn't he? he won the games for you"

"even watching that final fight makes me swoon. you know, if he wasn't in love with you, i'd go for him". they made it out of the room with a small laugh and walked through the crowds of people before making it into the large cafeteria.

the tvs displayed only showed shows which were also being played in the Capitol. Taehyun and Soobin sat down at a table with other tributes who had been saved from the games. Lee Heeseung and Shin Ryujin. four tributes in total. everyone's attention was then drawn to the screens when Caesar appeared.

"good evening Citizens of the Capitol!" a few groans were heard throughout the cafeteria, making Soobin let out a quiet laugh. "today we are going to be interviewing someone extremely special to us! here i have with me your victor of the 75th annual hunger games, Choi Beomgyu!".

Taehyun was trying not to pay too much attention to the screens but once Beomgyu's name was mentioned, it was as if his eyes couldn't look away. the camera panned over to Beomgyu who sat on a comfortable looking chair with a smile Taehyun knew was fake.

Beomgyu gave a small wave to the camera and everyone in the Capitols audience cheered. "so, Beomgyu, you're here today because it has been one year since you won the games. how do you feel?". the brunette fell silent for a moment and all Taehyun wanted to do was jump through the screen and give the older a hug.

"i'm coping, if that's even the right word to say. i thought i was going to die, especially after-", he had to pause himself as he didn't want to cry in front of everyone. the interviewer noticed this and reached forward to grab Beomgyu's hand.

"is it about Taehyun?". at the mention of his name, Taehyun could feel peoples eyes on him from all around the cafeteria. he ignored their stares and continued to eat his food while watching the screen. Beomgyu softly nodded and wiped underneath his eyes so no tears would fall.

Caesar then frowned before sitting up in his chair. "we could all feel the deep love you had for each other through our screens, and our hearts definitely ached for you when we saw the tragedy which was Taehyun's death"

"i think from that moment on was when we were all rooting for you to win"

———
i'm going to be updating this book more frequently since i don't have any other books to be writing at the same time!! so no more week long waits between chapters‼️‼️