Chapter 7 - Safe Houses And Unsafe Dreams

☾𖧷☽

It was quiet

It was quiet. The usual lively chatter between the friends was replaced with utter and bone-crushing silence, and not even Tony dared to crack a joke. Bruce was crouched on the ground, clinging to a thin blanket and sweating uncontrollably. Nat was perched on the front of her Quinjet seat staring into the nothingness in front of her; her face still holding the visage of revelation. Steve sat in one of the Quinjet seats not far away from her, unconsciously twirling a loose ribbon of the seatbelt between his fingers while Thor stood off to the side, his arms crossed tightly in front of his chest.

"How's the team?" Alyssa suddenly heard. Glancing up she realized she must've spaced out and missed half of the conversation between her dad and Maria.

"Everyone's... We took a hit. We'll shake it off."

"Well, for now, I'd stay in stealth mode and stay away from here."

"So, run and hide?" Tony asked.

"Until we can find Ultron, I don't have a lot else to offer." Maria said quietly.

"Neither do we." Tony sighed and ended the video call. Alyssa looked up and silently wandered over to him. He flashed her a small smile before turning to Clint.

"Hey, you wanna switch out?" he asked.

"No, I'm good. If you wanna get some kip, now's a good time because we're still a few hours out." Clint replied.

"Few hours from...where?" Alyssa asked tiredly.

Clint smiled a little before answering; "A safe house."

Alyssa hummed quietly before sitting down again. A few moments later Tony joined her.

"C'mere." he demanded gently before taking Alyssa into his arms. He softly stroked her hair, pressing a tender kiss on her head.

"How are you holding up? Are you hurt?" he asked lowly.

"No, I'm fine, dad." Alyssa murmured back.

"Are you sure? Did the witch-girl do something?" he questioned worriedly.

"I'm fine, really." Alyssa laughed. "Although, I did meet the Maximoff girl. It was... weird." Alyssa sat up, turning her body slightly to look at her father fully.

"When she tried to attack me, there was this...orange glow. I felt it, dad. It was like it was coming from me. I-I don't know... maybe she did get inside my head." Alyssa mentioned quietly, once more cuddling into her father's side.

"An orange glow, huh?" Tony repeated; the slight waver in his voice almost undetectable. But he heard it and cursed himself for it as a memory came over him.

Pepper's soft voice was heard from the bed, as she stroked her young daughter's hair. Cuddled up together on the small bed, Tony held his love and daughter as Pepper sang to the whimpering child.
Only three days ago they managed to find the HYDRA base in which Alyssa was captured. It was located in an abandoned part outside the city skirts of a small town in Latvia.