Chapter 7

I didn't sleep after Steve left my room. How could I? I couldn't stop thinking about that dream. What was so significant about that memory? It didn't even let me listen to the whole scene. And my Ma said I could have saved them. Who is them? And how could I have?? Could I have saved her if I didn't cower away to the states? Would she be alive now if I had stayed?

I shook my head, trying to get rid of the image of my mothers ghostly face. My mind went back to my Father's study. I hadn't been in there since he passed.

I stood up at that thought. Did he leave something for me? Is there a clue as to what I should be prepared for? I grabbed my silk robe and slid my slippers on, leaving my room quietly. I listened for a minute when I was in the hallway, no sound. Maybe they had all gone to sleep.

I walked down the hall, making sure to stay near the walls until I was safely out of earshot of my super soldiers. Making my way to the study, no maids were working right now, so I was completely alone. Thank goodness. They would probably alert Falan I was up and I didn't need that.

When I made it to the Study, I crept inside, making sure to close the door behind me. Turning to see what had been left untouched after my fathers passing. His emerald green armchair was covered in a thin layer of dust, candles laid along his desk, maybe mother had prayed in here too?  

The bookcases still towered over everything, but now they had dust and cobwebs, making it almost seem more eery. I walked up to his desk, looking at the papers already layered on it. Finances, laws.. Nothing helpful. I pulled open a drawer as I went and sat in his chair, taking a breath as I felt the warmth of his seat. Just sitting in his chair, it almost was like he had his arms wrapped around me again. I closed my eyes with a shaky breath, before continuing to open the drawer. It was empty. My eyebrows met in the middle in confusion.

Why was this drawer empty? I pulled open the other drawers. Nothing. Did mother empty his desk while I was gone? Leaning back in the chair, I left out a huff. Well there goes any lead I had.

There was a knock on the door that made me jump.

"Uh Yes?" I responded, muttering a string of curses for speaking up. I should have just got up to look out there. No one responded back. Weird. I got up from the chair and made my way to the door, placing my hand on the cold door handle. Why was it so cold?

I yanked it open fast, looking out into the hallway. No one was there. Am I really going crazy? I pushed the door closed and turned back around. Narrowing my eyes as the lights flickered on and off. What the actual fu- is going on? A cold breeze ran in front of me, freezing me in my spot. My breath was visible.

I brought my arms up, pulling my robe tightly to my body. What is this? The lights went out. A thud was heard by the desk.

"Hello?" I asked. Was someone here with me? I felt a shiver run up my back as the lights flashed back on. A pale woman stood in front of me, her hair in her face. I looked closer at her. I recognize that outfit. The hair. "Ma?" I asked, hesitantly. The woman looked up, her fading brown eyes meeting mine. Then all of a sudden she flashed to in front of me, screaming in my face as she ran through me. I let out a high pitched scream, my heart beating fast and hard.

I turned around, she was gone. I fell to the floor, wrapping my arms around myself. I don't know if I had fear or shock right now. Am I going crazy? Was that really my mother? Is she haunting me? That's impossible.

"Danny?" I jumped at the voice behind me. Turning my head, I saw Natasha standing at the door, holding the door open to look at me. Concern on her face. "Are you okay? I heard you scream." She explained, coming in and kneeling next to me. I heard footsteps as Steve and Bucky appeared at the door, they must have felt my heart racing and heard a scream or something. I looked away from them as I blinked a few times, trying to blink back the tears that were threatening to break free. Natasha placed her hand on my back, making me jump again. "Hey, it's okay." She soothed, trying to meet my eyes, but I was trying to look anywhere but at her or my mates.

HeartBeat ✔(Steve Rogers X OC X Bucky Barnes)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें