Part 16: Change in View

-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Imogen's POV
-+-+-+-+-+-+-

    A gentle weight rests on my waist as the piercing sunlight pulls me from my slumber. I lift the side of my face off the pillow and look around, registering that I'm not in the guest room.

    I'm in Dane's bed.

    Instinctively, my hand slowly drags up to my chest and presses down as I hold my breath. I stabilize my entire body and wait in silence.

    Thadump.

    Thadump.

    I sigh in relief and slowly move my hand back onto the pillow.

    My heart is back to normal.

    The weight on my waist lightly moves with every breath I take. Up and down, providing a sense of safety.

    I slowly roll over while stretching in the process and lay on my right side, tensing up almost as soon as I'm ready to relax.

    Dane is staring at me through his dark, hooded eyes. He's laying on his left side, draping his right arm over my body. Some dark, wavy hair falls in front of his forehead while the rest spills onto his pillow.

    He gives a tired, close-mouthed smile smiles and gently drums his fingers on my spine, leaving a fuzzy sensation under his touch. I can't help but stare at his eyes through my own heavy eyelids. They radiate a sparkle that even the ocean can't give off.

    His arm comes off my waist, creating a somewhat disappointed feeling deep in my gut. I close my eyes to hide it, expecting him to leave, but his fingertips are now touching my forehead. My eyes shoot open and he brushes some strands of my hair behind my ear.

    I feel my heart speed up, practically skipping in circles in my chest. It's definitely back to normal. A fog washes over my brain and everything in the room practically blurs, his face becoming the only thing my eyes can focus on.

    I feel a short sentence escape my lips, yet I don't hear it. His breath hitches and I feel his hand freeze, lingering behind my ear.

    "What?" He asks in a deep, husky voice. I say the short sentence once more, not realizing I'm inching closer to him. This time I can hear myself perfectly.

    Kiss me.

    He shifts over to me in one smooth motion and envelops my lips with his, grabbing the back of my head with his hand. I'm completely lost in him, grabbing his T-shirt with my two fists in an effort to pull him in closer than he already is.

    His lips are softly moving on mine, and we easily find a rhythm within a few seconds. Our torsos are pressed up against each other with practically no space separating us.

    It's like his body was made for mine to be embraced in. My arms are subconsciously snaking around his neck. The kiss is slowly becoming more passionate, and before I know it I can feel him climbing on top of me.

    He's kneeling on the mattress with his knees touching each of my hips, gently helping me roll onto my back. His hands wrap around my wrists and hold them on either side of my head. He kisses me deeply, but not roughly.

    The tip of his tongue smoothly swipes across my bottom lip. I open my mouth slightly, granting access. His sweet, little kitten licks in my mouth send bursts of fire through my body. It almost feels like I'm floating.

    My back arches in ecstasy, as if I've been waiting for this moment for two-hundred and five years. Maybe I have. I wouldn't be mad at that.

    His lips leave my mouth, a cold, empty feeling rushing through my veins. As soon as the feeling starts, it's stopped when he places soft kisses along my chin and jaw-bone. I unintentionally let out a giggle in happiness and internally cringe at myself.

    Even though I can't see it, I feel his smile brush against the nape of my neck. His kisses become playful and finally reach my forehead. He stops and rests his forehead on mine, and we smile like idiots at each other.

    What a nice way to wake up.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

    Dane, Mila, and I are eating pizza at the table in the kitchen.

    "What the hell is up with you two?" Mila asks us, slamming her pizza slice onto her plate. "You keep blushing like lovesick puppies!"

    She widens her eyes after a few moments and starts choking, frantically drinking some water and slapping her chest.

    "DID SOMETHING HAPPEN BETWEEN YOU TWO?" She stands up quickly, pushing her chair back. Her screeching nearly makes my ears bleed and Dane drops his fork in shock.

    "WHAT?!" The two of us shout in unison, both giving Mila a disgusted look. "I don't know what you're talking about," Dane calmly states while wiping his face with a napkin.

    "Oh shut up, Minnie is acting like you just proposed to her as if you two have been in a five-year relationship. It's so pathetic and adorable." Mila sits back down and gives me the side-eye. "She certainly isn't running a fever, either." She places a hand to my forehead.

    "Mind your own business," I roughly say and swat her hand away. "Even if something happened, I'm not telling you."

    "Fine, fine," Mila rolls her eyes and leans back in her chair. "Just promise you'll let me help you pick out the engagement ring, Dane."

    Dane stops chewing his food and gives her a murderous look. "F*ck off, Mila."

    "Don't swear with Minnie around, she's a precious little baby bean!" Mila picks up her plate and puts it in the sink, ruffling my hair on her way out the room.

    Dane looks at me with a smug look on his face. I cock an eyebrow and he gestures with his finger for me to come closer. Suspiciously, I lean in and he puts his lips to my ear.

    I expect him to whisper anything but this. A string of curse-words enter my ear, draining the color from my face. I squeak and stand up quickly.

    "I'm gonna take a shower," I say, quickly putting my dishes and Mila's cup into the sink. I can hear Dane laughing behind me as I leave the kitchen.

    I don't know whether to be aroused or mortified.