Chapter 23: Sacrifice

Start from the beginning

Ashley's blue eyes were bursting with angst too. "Hey, am I bothering you?" she asked.

"No, not at all," said Rosalie and bringing Ashley inside.

Both of them sat on the chairs beside each other. Rosalie crossed her legs under her, while Ashley crossed her legs at the knee and hugged a pillow on her lap.

"How's Evelyn holding up?" she asked Ashley.

Ashley seemed surprised that Rosalie knew about that. "Evelyn knows the drill about her dad going out on missions. Frankly, she seems more confident about it than me," Ashley shared. "I'm always a big ball of anxiety when the boys leave for missions."

"Do they go often on missions like this one?" asked Rosalie.

"More than I'd like to admit," said Ashley. "But that's what they do best, helping others and occasionally killing bad people."

Rosalie didn't know that the fear of losing a mate was something she'd worry about. Adrik was in danger almost every day. Ashley knew exactly how Rosalie felt because she worried for her own mate all the time too. Although, Rosalie didn't want to express her worries to Ashley because it wouldn't be of any use in this situation. Both of them were just going to feel even worse if she had.

Rosalie laid her hand on Ashley's arm. "They'll be fine," she reassured. "I haven't known the Iron Pack for long, but they look like they can handle a fight."

Ashley finally peeked a smile and her face brightened too, which was always such a lovely sight. "You're right," she said. "Thanks for that."

"No problem," Rosalie responded. "Now, why don't you take off your heels and get some sleep."

Ashley nodded. "But before I do that, I'm going to check on Zeiden. He seemed pretty bummed out about not getting to go with them tonight," she said.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Rosalie asked.

"If you don't mind," Ashley smiled and said.

"Not at all," Rosalie shot up onto her feet. "Let's go."

They both went across the hall over towards Zeiden's room, which was also Marcello's room now. Ashley knocked a few times and the door was answered. Zeiden looked at both their faces and frowned.

"Everything alright?" he asked them.

Ashely waved her hand. "Everything's fine," she said. "We just wanted to know if you're okay?"

Zeiden's blue eyes flickered with a deep lick of anguish. He didn't answer, but instead he moved from the door inviting them both inside. Ashley went in first and Rosalie followed, letting the door stay open behind them since no one else was here anyways.

Zeiden sat on the bed as the girls took a seat on the chairs. "So, I'm thinking we all feel like shit right now," he alleged bluntly.

Rosalie and Ashley shared a wary look but ended up humming in agreement.

Zeiden raked his dark hair back. Usually, Zeiden was smiling and had an upbeat attitude towards the day or night ahead. Except, when he looked ready to punch a wall, then his frown deepened his dark eyebrows and his lips were kept in a strict line. Rosalie genuinely thought that the resemblance Zeiden had to Isaiah right now was uncanny.

"Yeah, I'm not too happy about all this either," he added. "I wanted to be with them when they went for Aziel."

"You're still hurt, Zeiden," said Ashley. "You really didn't think that Isaiah was going to compromise your safety for a mission."