Seven

Chapter VII

The sound of happily chirping birds and bright sunshine is what greeted Abbie when the restful sleep left her body. She could not remember a time when she has slept so soundly. She could not remember a time when she slept past 8 am. Her eyes slowly opened only to see her dark hair obscuring her vision. Abbie closed her eyes and sighed with contentment. She could use a couple more hours of sleep and settled in again beneath the warmth of the blankets. Her hand reached out beneath the blankets, searching for her bedmate, but the warm spot beside her was empty. Where was Abraham?

Deep throbbing above her right breast made Abbie open her eyes again. The feeling was one of gentle pressure, not painful jabs. All the events of the past two days came flooding back to her, and Abbie racked her dark hair from her face and quickly sat up in the bed.

Abraham Van Brunt stood at the end of the bed, watching her with a dark expression. He was still shirtless and did not seem in a big hurry to cover his muscle. Abbie stared at his chest and then raised her eyes towards the dark blues staring at her. What was he thinking? Did Abraham believe that now she would stay because she had nowhere else to go? Did he think that she owed him something because he had saved her from Moloch?

As she continued staring into his eyes, she watched the blue turn to black as he continued watching her. She saw his eyes dip down the front of the thin nightdress she wore and linger on her breasts. The scar began to ache as well as the flesh between her thighs. Abbie quickly looked away from the darkening orbs and pulled the blankets up around her scantily clad body, feeling herself trembling with a longing that she had been fighting for two days. What was it about him that made her insides wither and long for his touch and his flesh? She could not use the argument that he was evil anymore because he had proven that he was anything but bad. He had spared Ichabod's life and saved countless others from Moloch's evil. He was not there to harm her. He was not unattractive to her. On the contrary, he made her feel safe and wanted when he was near her. Just the thought of him made her; Abbie closed her eyes and gripped the blankets tighter.

"You slept well." He watched her body outline tremble beneath the blankets as he spoke. Even the sound of his voice was enough to make her desire him.

"I have you to thank for that." Abraham waited for her to look at him before he spoke again. After a few minutes, she grew curious about his silence and turned her gaze towards him. His blue eyes darkened.

"You are a brave woman. Not many would have wanted to fight against Lord Milian for fear of losing. I admire that in you."

She slowly smiled at his words. "Thank you."

"I can see why Ichabod is so close to you. You are very loyal even in the face of danger."

Abbie relaxed her grip on the blankets growing more comfortable in Abraham's presence. "Why did you join Moloch? You seem too strong to let anyone sway you from what you want?"

"I will have what I want...with you, Abbie." Abraham walked towards the window and watched the rising steam roll down the hills towards his home.

"I was betrayed by the two people that I cared about most in this world. My broken heart and need for revenge made Moloch's offer seem reasonable: my soul for revenge against Ichabod and Katrina. I accepted what he offered, and he gave me power and immortality. I did not realize that I had a choice until I saw you."

Abraham turned from the window and gazed at the woman in his bed watching him. Her death grip on the blankets had lessened, and he could see his mark upon her right breast glowing.

"After Corbin's death,"

"Yes, the look on your face and made me pause, and then you shot at me. Most would run, but you would fight for those that you love. I needed that. I needed someone like you. I began to watch you and follow you and Ichabod as you fought against Moloch. I saw your compassion, loyalty, and most of all, your beauty. I wanted that, and this was when I realized that I had had a choice with Moloch. For centuries, I blamed Ichabod and Katrina for what I am; but now I know I am to blame for what happened. If I had had someone like you then, this world would not be as it is now."