"What do you say?" Lola asks her as I hold out her popcorn.

Ava steps closer like a wary cat coming out from hiding. "Thank you."

"No problem, cutie."

She beams before clutching onto Lola again. As they head to their movie, I think about what it must be like having a sibling. As much as I consider Nick to be as close to a brother as I have, it's not the same as growing up under the same roof.

Having the same experiences and childhood. Being protected by someone older or being the protector of a little brother or sister. In my case, it would be a burden.

I used to long for a sibling when I felt the most alone, but the reality is that having an extra person you care about only ties you down more. I could never leave Cloverbrook. It would be impossible to leave them behind, so I'd be stuck.

It's a selfish thought, anyway. I wouldn't want any kid to have the same upbringing I've had.

About five minutes after they've gone and when it's quiet enough for me to go out back for a smoke break, my pulse spikes. Summer is walking across the lobby, furiously typing on her phone with a look of exasperation.

I change my mind and stay put.

She stuffs her phone in her handbag as she approaches the counter, coming to a stop when she sees me. "Ugh, you work here?"

I tug at my waistcoat. "Nah, I just put on this dorky uniform so I can spend my Friday night giving people food."

Summer rolls her eyes and makes a start for the other counter, but Janice is busy with a small group. She reluctantly comes back to my side.

I rest my hands on the counter. "I take it you're here with Lola and Fawn, then."

"I am, but I wouldn't have come if I knew you'd be here."

"Sore Loser doesn't suit you, Cupcake."

Her eyes turn to slits. "Well, Cocky Winner doesn't suit you."

"Think it does, actually." I grin, urging my gaze away from those downright edible lips. "What can I get you?"

"Medium popcorn, M&M's, and a bottled water. Thanks."

I gather it together while she waits with impatient foot tapping. It's crazy how much dislike I felt for her, and now all I feel like doing is pulling her into the backroom and re-creating this morning. No tricks up my sleeve this time round.

I'm thinking about it again before I can stop myself. The way she responded so forcefully, her fingers gripping my hair, that moan she made. God, that fucking moan. It was the signal that told me I had successfully secured myself in the root of her mind for the rest of the contest. I've never wanted to hear something again so badly.

If I could get her to moan like that with one kiss, I can only imagine the other heavenly sounds she'd make if my tongue traveled away from her mouth. The things I'd do to her...

I snap out of it and stop her when she reaches for her wallet, dipping into my tip jar. "It's on me. Least I can do for being a dick today, right?"

"Every day," she mutters, taking her food. "But thank you."

Summer steps away but pauses, turning back. "How come you told Chef Kent you wanted to stay partners?"

Because I'm selfish and I can't stand the thought of anyone else but me getting to stand across from you every day.

While true, I leave that part out. "Because I think the challenge is good for the both of us."